Wireless router suggestions?

Started by DontSayBanana, December 08, 2009, 09:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

I'm thinking I may be in the market for a cheapie router soon.  My Linksys chokes my cable connection somehow to where I have to physically unplug and hard-reset the router to be able to connect again, almost once a day now.  Today's it's already happened 2 or 3 times.

Any suggestions from the network-savvy guys?  Should I go Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, or what?  Keeping in mind that I's po' pipple and am probably going to be getting, if not the cheapest tier, then the one right above it?
Experience bij!

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on December 08, 2009, 09:41:29 PM
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

Actually, considering I have to plan for S moving in with her Mac stuff, that doesn't seem like such a bad idea. :hug:
Experience bij!

Barrister

Don't sweat the Mac too much - it connects just fine to any regular wireless router.  RIght now I'm using a cheap D-Link on my Mac.

However... in my Christmas parcel from my parents they threw in a couple years old Airport they no longer need.  It'll look a lot prettier on my desk than the crappy D-Link (plus it'll be an upgrade to n band).  I'll let you know how it works

Lucidor

I've had two D-link and they've always been very reliable. None have broken down on me, and I have one sitting 20 cm from a DECT phone station, working without problems. When it was 3 cm (sitting in top) I had some connectivity issues.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2009, 01:21:38 AM
  It'll look a lot prettier on my desk
:bleeding: It's a router, not a goddamn Tiffany lamp or Faberge egg.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

That's the problem.  Apple specializes in making pretty things these days. Not hardware.  That's why the Macs of yesterday were desirable for what they could do, while today's are wanted because they look cool. 
PDH!

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on December 09, 2009, 08:12:58 AM

x2

As always, I recommend getting a Linksys that supports the DD-WRT firmware.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on December 09, 2009, 08:12:58 AM

It was free, dude.  :contract:

And aesthetics are important. -_-

Caliga

That was partly a knee-jerk reply addressing typical prejudices toward Appletards :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 09, 2009, 09:26:03 AM
That's the problem.  Apple specializes in making pretty things these days. Not hardware.  That's why the Macs of yesterday were desirable for what they could do, while today's are wanted because they look cool.

:huh:

Apple has focused on aesthetics for over a decade now.  The original iMac came out in '98.

The Macs before that weren't especially desirable by anyone, which is why the company almost went out of business.

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 08, 2009, 09:00:19 PM
I'm thinking I may be in the market for a cheapie router soon.  My Linksys chokes my cable connection somehow to where I have to physically unplug and hard-reset the router to be able to connect again, almost once a day now.  Today's it's already happened 2 or 3 times.

Any suggestions from the network-savvy guys?  Should I go Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, or what?  Keeping in mind that I's po' pipple and am probably going to be getting, if not the cheapest tier, then the one right above it?

I had 2 D-Links and had the same problem as you did.
I have now a Linksys WRT400N and have the same problem.

Bottom line: it's all shit.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: viper37 on December 09, 2009, 04:37:06 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 08, 2009, 09:00:19 PM

I had 2 D-Links and had the same problem as you did.
I have now a Linksys WRT400N and have the same problem.

Bottom line: it's all shit.

I've seen that with pretty much every consumer-grade thing out there. The best one I've used in my house so far is the stupid one that came with my fiber connection from ATT UVerse. It's a combo modem/router thingie. So, if you want to get the bandwidth you're paying for, the best way to go is a real small office grade router. You'll pay money for that though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833120165
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers