News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dems going to get a new nominating process?

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 07, 2009, 03:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Ok my bad.  You are right that not many candidates have focused on the caucus states outside of Iowa, but every candidate that has taken the election seriously has focused on Iowa and New Hampshire.

DGuller

stjaba

Quote from: DGuller on December 08, 2009, 01:09:33 AM
Wasn't Clinton an also-ran in Iowa?

Yeah, I think she may have even lost to Edwards. But she pulled out a big upset in New Hampshire, which IIRC, caused the intrade market to briefly predict her victory over Obama for the eventual nomination. At that point, probably 1% of the delegates had been decided, but everyone was conditioned due to previous campaigns to into believing that winning New Hampshire was a big deal.

DGuller

Sorry, wrong Clinton.  I mean the original one, in 1992.

stjaba

Quote from: DGuller on December 08, 2009, 01:38:34 AM

Yeah except that year Iowa had a favorite son candidate, so every Dem ignored IOWA, and the big race was New Hampshire, which Clinton actually lost, but he did well enough to exceed expectations, so really won in the eyes of the media. Presidential nomination campaigns are strange like that.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on December 08, 2009, 01:38:34 AM
Bill Clinton ignored Iowa because Harkin was running and he doesn't like caucases.  He advised Hillary to ignore Iowa, she chose not to follow his advice.  In terms of election what-ifs I think it's a big one if she'd just not competed in Iowa.  Obama wouldn't have got much momentum from Iowa and Clinton still probably would have won New Hampshire which could have changed things.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on December 08, 2009, 01:05:17 AM
Ok my bad.  You are right that not many candidates have focused on the caucus states outside of Iowa, but every candidate that has taken the election seriously has focused on Iowa and New Hampshire.
I know this is a discussion about the Democratic primary, but McCain wrote off Iowa.  Iowa doesn't annoint winners, it weeds out also-rans.

ulmont

Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2009, 03:35:39 PM
Quote from: ulmont on December 07, 2009, 03:26:07 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 07, 2009, 03:12:41 PM
I think we should scrap the superdelegate thing entirely. It sucks.

As a vehicle to get elected officials to show up to the convention, it's not bad.  It's an extremely aberrant race when they could change the outcome, and even more aberrant when they do (I don't think this has ever happened).

As long as television cameras are at the conventions, the politicians will be there.

The flip side is that no one wants to have to run for election as a convention delegate...against their congressman (or state legislator, or mayor, or whatever).  Absent superdelegate procedures, though, that's often what's going to happen if those people want to go to the convention.

alfred russel

Caucuses without secret ballots are a problem, especially in the party with most of the labor union support.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on December 08, 2009, 10:51:03 AM
Caucuses without secret ballots are a problem, especially in the party with most of the labor union support.
I never thought about it, but it's a very good point once you mentioned it.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on December 08, 2009, 11:01:18 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 08, 2009, 10:51:03 AM
I never thought about it, but it's a very good point once you mentioned it.

The last time around it was a fucking circus. I had to vote by going over and standing with the group representing the candidate I wanted to support. Everybody for Barack, this side of the room. Everybody for Hillary, that side. The six people supporting Edwards, you stand in the middle of the room so both sides can hound you mercilessly. People are not polite.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Fate

Forcing Edwards voters to accept a realistic candidate isn't a negative quality of the caucus system.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on December 08, 2009, 12:53:45 PM
Forcing Edwards voters to accept a realistic candidate isn't a negative quality of the caucus system.
That's built into the process.  Which realistic candidate they flip to is the part MIM is talking about.

DGuller

It's one thing to be heckled and persuaded unpolitely to switch camp.  It's another thing when there is an entity watching over the process that can organize a harassment against those who vote the wrong way.