News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ramen Noodles - for Berkut and DGuller

Started by alfred russel, December 07, 2009, 09:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

A while back I said ramen noodles weren't contributing to our obesity problems, and DGuller and Berkut jumped in to assure me that they are.

I found ramen noodles in the grocery store and a serving of ramen noodles (the entire cup) had just 290 calories. How many of those do you have to eat in a day to become obese? I would think that you would die of an overdose of whatever chemicals they put in those things before you became overweight.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2009, 09:53:27 AM
A while back I said ramen noodles weren't contributing to our obesity problems, and DGuller and Berkut jumped in to assure me that they are.

I found ramen noodles in the grocery store and a serving of ramen noodles (the entire cup) had just 290 calories. How many of those do you have to eat in a day to become obese? I would think that you would die of an overdose of whatever chemicals they put in those things before you became overweight.

But who eats just one cup? You make Ramen noodles, and the serving is the package.

And more to the point is that the calories are largely empty - no real nutritional value in them at all, just pure carbs and salt.

But tasty!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on December 07, 2009, 09:54:55 AM

But who eats just one cup? You make Ramen noodles, and the serving is the package.

And more to the point is that the calories are largely empty - no real nutritional value in them at all, just pure carbs and salt.

But tasty!

That is what I'm saying--the entire package was 290 calories. (the package was a cup)

I'm with you that they are an unhealthy food to base a diet on, but I'm not sure about the obesity angle.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Is this the nutritional value of an entire meal (including toppings and the like) or just the noodle component?

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2009, 09:58:54 AM

Is this the nutritional value of an entire meal (including toppings and the like) or just the noodle component?

It includes everything in the cup. Are the toppings included in the package? If so, yes, if not, no.

Berkut

Ahh, so you are talking about those dinky little tiny cups.

Yeah, even a Big mac doesn't have a lot of calories if you only eat a cup of it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on December 07, 2009, 10:01:14 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2009, 09:58:54 AM

It includes everything in the cup. Are the toppings included in the package? If so, yes, if not, no.

I don't know. That's why I'm asking you. Considering you started a thread about it, I assumed you knew what you were talking about.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on December 07, 2009, 10:12:58 AM
Ahh, so you are talking about those dinky little tiny cups.

Yeah, even a Big mac doesn't have a lot of calories if you only eat a cup of it.

It was the standard size--the only size I saw.

The next time you see a ramen noodle display, look for the one you used to eat and report the calories. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing.

Brazen

People eat massive plates of pasta in the name of health and it's essentially the same. An average plateful can easily ramp up 500 calories before you start on the toppings.

All the ramen noodles in UK supermarkets are now low sodium and severely lacking in umami since they took out the MSG :(

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Did I actually say that Ramen noodles contribute to obesity?  I'm not going to go back and check, but it sounds very uncharacteristic of me.  It's not like me to blame some food on obesity, I think that's a simplistic view of the problem.  I do remember mentioning Ramen noodles to a counter a point that healthy food is cheap.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2009, 10:16:59 AM

I don't know. That's why I'm asking you. Considering you started a thread about it, I assumed you knew what you were talking about.

I don't know much about ramen noodles. I only started a thread because I saw a ramen package that had 290 calories.

grumbler

A regular package of Ramen noodles has 600 calories (2 servings).  Those calories are from fat (something like 7 grams of it).  IIRC, you get a full day's worth of salt, as well.

If you get a package half that size, then you have half the calories, but then you have the calories of the food you eat to supplement the Ramen noodles.  Probably a lot less fatty, though.

As Berkut noted, these are empty calories.  Their sole virtue is that they are cheap.  I cannot understand why an adult with a job would consume ramen noodles, when you can get healthy food that tastes even better for only a modest increase in cost.  Students... yeah, I've been there and done that and understand why others would as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2009, 10:21:55 AM
Did I actually say that Ramen noodles contribute to obesity?  I'm not going to go back and check, but it sounds very uncharacteristic of me.  It's not like me to blame some food on obesity, I think that's a simplistic view of the problem.  I do remember mentioning Ramen noodles to a counter a point that healthy food is cheap.

I thought you did, I wouldn't have contended ramen noodles were healthy, so we wouldn't have had a point of disagreement.