And we're back!

Main Menu

WW1, the short and easy way

Started by Mr.Penguin, December 04, 2009, 11:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on December 05, 2009, 10:11:09 AM
Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2009, 09:05:51 AM
I will continue to hold that US intervention was a mistake.

But then, the question has to be asked...why in the hell did you vote for Wilson TWO TIMES, sir!?
That was Henry Braid Wilson.  Not Woodrow.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Faeelin

Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2009, 09:05:51 AM
In re:  the US not joining the war, if the US doesn't join, it is pretty much as Neil proposes:  Germany retrenches with her control over Ukraine, thus stopping a great deal of the hunger, and the Entente loses Russia without a counterbalancing gain.  At that point, the Alllies would probably be willing to deal, and if the Kaiser could be shut away someplace or convinced to keep his fucking mouth shut, a negotiated peace could have been achieved. It is possible that it wouldn't, but the worst-case result for the US non-intervention is better than what historically occurred with US intervention, so I will continue to hold that US intervention was a mistake.

I'm not so sure. Let's say they "retrench" in the Ukraine. It's not clear to me they'll be able to get any grain out of the place; they had trouble doing so OTL, after all; even the Third Reich, which had far fewer compunctions about letting the Slavs starve, couldn't really manage it.

Meanwhile, the blockade is still in place. And the Allies are learning how to use tanks.

I admit an even more dramatic defeat might help the Germans.

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on December 05, 2009, 10:42:09 PM
even the Third Reich, which had far fewer compunctions about letting the Slavs starve, couldn't really manage it.
Which is a big part of why the Nazis could never get anything out of it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.