WW1, the short and easy way

Started by Mr.Penguin, December 04, 2009, 11:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on December 05, 2009, 05:37:44 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2009, 12:10:17 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 04, 2009, 11:33:17 AM
So the USA won the war? WTF?

Yes.  A thank you would be appreciated BTW.
Hey, we have Wilson's square in Warsaw. :P

There's also hospitals and stuff named after FDR in Slovakia. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Actually, Poland was a clear winner of WWI. First we sided with the Germans and kicked out the Russians, then when Germans were losing we turned on them and kicked them out as well. We got our independence, a country relatively untouched by war both in infrastructure and population terms, and when the Soviets came a calling in 1918, they were so weakened we kicked them back and captured half of the modern day Ukraine and Belarus.

Compared to the outcome of WWII, this was a fucking miracle.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 05, 2009, 02:07:37 AM
Wasn't Germany starving to death because of the British blockade though? They would have had to give up, just like they did in our timeline.
Germany had captured the Ukraine.  As the war went on, the situation would improve.  I think that the collapse of Russia without the addition of the US would result in some negotiations, although German overconfidance might cause problems with those, unless the German domestic situation was critical.

Nevertheless, it doesn't matter.  The US entered the war on the side of state terror, and so karma gave them 9/11.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on December 05, 2009, 05:42:59 AM
Actually, Poland was a clear winner of WWI. First we sided with the Germans and kicked out the Russians, then when Germans were losing we turned on them and kicked them out as well. We got our independence, a country relatively untouched by war both in infrastructure and population terms, and when the Soviets came a calling in 1918, they were so weakened we kicked them back and captured half of the modern day Ukraine and Belarus.

Compared to the outcome of WWII, this was a fucking miracle.
Serbia did better.  They got subject peoples to rule, and they also became independent in such a way that they weren't dismembered and annihilated as a people a generation later.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Mr.Penguin

The Czechs did also come out on top, French and England was very busy giving them land areas with right type of industry and resources, that in the end did the Czech only make up just about 52% of the population in their new state...   
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

grumbler

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on December 05, 2009, 08:51:51 AM
The Czechs did also come out on top, French and England was very busy giving them land areas with right type of industry and resources, that in the end did the Czech only make up just about 52% of the population in their new state...
Yes, and that served them so well over the next 30 years that the term Sudetenland has become synonymous with "utopia."  :P

Seriously, people, do you really think that a country "wins" if it gets a temporary independence that carries with it the seeds of the destruction of the country? Think about the long-term implications of the "victories" you are proposing.

In re:  the US not joining the war, if the US doesn't join, it is pretty much as Neil proposes:  Germany retrenches with her control over Ukraine, thus stopping a great deal of the hunger, and the Entente loses Russia without a counterbalancing gain.  At that point, the Alllies would probably be willing to deal, and if the Kaiser could be shut away someplace or convinced to keep his fucking mouth shut, a negotiated peace could have been achieved. It is possible that it wouldn't, but the worst-case result for the US non-intervention is better than what historically occurred with US intervention, so I will continue to hold that US intervention was a mistake.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on December 05, 2009, 09:05:51 AM
I will continue to hold that US intervention was a mistake.

But then, the question has to be asked...why in the hell did you vote for Wilson TWO TIMES, sir!?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on December 05, 2009, 10:11:09 AM
I will continue to hold that US intervention was a mistake.

But then, the question has to be asked...why in the hell did you vote for Wilson TWO TIMES, sir!?

:lmfao:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2009, 03:16:21 AM
Later he supposedly regretted that breakdown, and went on to buy into the backstab legend.

He and Hindenburg were such tremendous assholes after the war, saying all that shit when they knew damn well it wasn't true and they had lost the war.  Another reason I am glad the US intervened, it would have been horrible if those two fucks got to be known as great heroes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on December 05, 2009, 01:18:39 PM
it would have been horrible if those two fucks got to be known as great heroes.

You mean like Hindenburg becomin president of Germany, or Ludendorff becoming an arbiter of the Nazis?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2009, 01:23:20 PM
You mean like Hindenburg becomin president of Germany, or Ludendorff becoming an arbiter of the Nazis?

I meant in history not in post-war Germany :P

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

ulmont

Razgovory

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on December 05, 2009, 08:51:51 AM
Yes, and that served them so well over the next 30 years that the term Sudetenland has become synonymous with "utopia."  :P

Seriously, people, do you really think that a country "wins" if it gets a temporary independence that carries with it the seeds of the destruction of the country? Think about the long-term implications of the "victories" you are proposing.

In re:  the US not joining the war, if the US doesn't join, it is pretty much as Neil proposes:  Germany retrenches with her control over Ukraine, thus stopping a great deal of the hunger, and the Entente loses Russia without a counterbalancing gain.  At that point, the Alllies would probably be willing to deal, and if the Kaiser could be shut away someplace or convinced to keep his fucking mouth shut, a negotiated peace could have been achieved. It is possible that it wouldn't, but the worst-case result for the US non-intervention is better than what historically occurred with US intervention, so I will continue to hold that US intervention was a mistake.

It's hard to see what would happen 20 years in the future.  Though from one point a view the situation worked out well for the US.  All of it's potential rivals in Europe were destroyed along with Japan.  The only one that could potentially rival the US was grievously wounded by two world wars assorted self inflicted injuries that it limped along for 40 years before finally just giving up the ghost.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017