News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Kentucky Trivia" -- for Cal

Started by derspiess, March 31, 2009, 01:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2009, 08:34:59 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2009, 08:32:28 AM:woot:  Let's go.  I love abandoned places like that.  They have a post-apocalyptic vibe to them.

:thumbsup:  I have a bunch of pics of it, as well as some of Creelsboro, Kentucky (ghost town downstream from Lake Cumberland).

Sweet.  I'll have to wait 'til I get home to see the pics (Photobucket is blocked here at work now :rolleyes: ).  There are several spots listed here that I'd like to visit, including the Cincinnati subway: http://www.forgottenoh.com/page1.html

Wonder if there are some good places in Northern KY...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Heh, I heard about the Cincinnati subway and wanted to check it out last time I was up there on business, but never got around to it.  That whole story amuses me. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2009, 10:55:12 AM
Heh, I heard about the Cincinnati subway and wanted to check it out last time I was up there on business, but never got around to it.  That whole story amuses me. :)

It's nearly impossible to get in to see it.  They have a very small tour once a year, and I'm guessing you have to have connections to get in on it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: charliebear on April 03, 2009, 09:59:21 AM
I also remember it being a beautiful place in the spring.

:thumbsup:

My %^**^%$ camera just broke, so until I get it repaired and/or my new one gets here, I can't take any pics... but yes, yes it is. :cool:

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2009, 10:58:57 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2009, 10:55:12 AM

It's nearly impossible to get in to see it.  They have a very small tour once a year, and I'm guessing you have to have connections to get in on it.

urbex FTW  :ph34r:

derspiess

Caliga

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2009, 11:16:11 AM
But concealed carry FTW!

Good point. I suppose you might as well open carry (which I think anyone can do in Ohio).

FWIW, the abandoned tuberculosis hospital in Lima is probably a hoot to explore: http://www.forgottenoh.com/LimaTB/limatb.html

I don't believe in ghosts at all, but for some odd reason ghost stories fascinate me.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2009, 11:43:44 AMI don't believe in ghosts at all, but for some odd reason ghost stories fascinate me.

Same.  If I wanted a similar experience to Lima, I'd just go to Waverly Hills Sanitorium in Louisville.  Very Silent Hill-ish.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2009, 11:45:19 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2009, 11:43:44 AMI don't believe in ghosts at all, but for some odd reason ghost stories fascinate me.

Same.  If I wanted a similar experience to Lima, I'd just go to Waverly Hills Sanitorium in Louisville.  Very Silent Hill-ish.

Whoa.  Found their website & that place looks awesome.  Might see if I can get the wife to go on a tour.

Caliga

:thumbsup: I might go with ya.. never been myself.

Caliga

Quote from: charliebear on April 03, 2009, 09:59:21 AM
I also remember it being a beautiful place in the spring.

Here ya go Seebee... my new digital cam arrived early so I took this pic off of my deck early this morning.  Some of my beloved junipers are on the left side of the pic.

katmai

IS the still behind the Juniper trees?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Caliga

Timmy, check this shit out: I found a website that automates building a travel map for you like I was doing manually, for every US state.  It even provides an overall map.  I *think* this is comprehensive but I need to double check some stuff.  For example, I may have gone to Norfolk with my dad when I was a kid but until I verify that I won't list it:

site is http://counties.visitedmap.com