News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Kentucky Trivia" -- for Cal

Started by derspiess, March 31, 2009, 01:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Hey, Cal, you should restart your map of Kentucky series here. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 01, 2009, 09:55:00 PMYeah. I've long since lost it, but I had a ViewMaster with slides from Mammoth Caves. No way to replace them, either. ViewMaster's stopping production this year. :(

^_^

The point of my quote was to correct you... it's Mammoth Cave.  It's all one giant cave system.  Upon review I realize that my strikeout of your 's' was difficult to see, though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 01, 2009, 10:45:49 PM
Hey, Cal, you should restart your map of Kentucky series here. :)

I will once I actually go somewhere new.  I haven't done much "original" travelling lately.  At some point this summer I'm likely going out to western Kentucky to visit Kentucky Lake/Lake Barkley/LBL though. :)

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2009, 07:04:25 AM

^_^

The point of my quote was to correct you... it's Mammoth Cave.  It's all one giant cave system.  Upon review I realize that my strikeout of your 's' was difficult to see, though.

Yeah. Couldn't see the strikeout. Sorry. Either way, been to Cave City, done that, opted out of the T-shirt for a plastic slide show toy. ;)
Experience bij!

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 02, 2009, 10:00:31 PMYeah. Couldn't see the strikeout. Sorry. Either way, been to Cave City, done that, opted out of the T-shirt for a plastic slide show toy. ;)

Cave City :bleeding:

It's the very definition of a "tourist trap", complete with an ultra-lame wild west theme show.

The much cooler wild west theme park is up by Cumberland Falls, because it's abandoned and fun to explore. :cool:

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2009, 07:43:03 AM
It's the very definition of a "tourist trap", complete with an ultra-lame wild west theme show.

The much cooler wild west theme park is up by Cumberland Falls, because it's abandoned and fun to explore. :cool:

A wild west show east of the Mississippi?  Lame.

That would sort of be like having a Revolutionary War re-enactment in Arizona.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Most of those parks date from the '50s and '60s when that stuff was all the rage due to Hollywood Westerns, Gunsmoke, Bonanza and the like.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 03, 2009, 07:43:03 AM

:woot:  Let's go.  I love abandoned places like that.  They have a post-apocalyptic vibe to them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2009, 08:32:28 AM:woot:  Let's go.  I love abandoned places like that.  They have a post-apocalyptic vibe to them.

:thumbsup:  I have a bunch of pics of it, as well as some of Creelsboro, Kentucky (ghost town downstream from Lake Cumberland).

Ed Anger

I may be driving my family down to Harlan county next month. I figured it was time to show my cousins down there my kids. Plus I want to see how far gone Harlan has gone in 10 years. I've heard the downtown area is pawn hop city and the old businesses are gone.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Here's a pic of Tombstone junction I have on my photobucket account:

Caliga

charliebear

I lived in Lexington for a short time back in the day.  I remember being surprised at the lack of a substantial middle class.  One was either dirt poor or very well off.

Caliga

I don't believe it's that way these days... but Lexington has a very small suburban skirt, and immediately outside of that the people are indeed dirt-poor hillbillies.

charliebear

I also remember it being a beautiful place in the spring.