How hard are two monitors on ram?

Started by Josquius, December 02, 2009, 03:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

My friend has recently upgraded his monitor to a hulking big thing so he's let me borrow his old one since until now I've just been stuck hunched over my laptop, its not massivly big but better than my laptop screen but quite a ways. However I'm unsure whether to get a usb keyboard and just run my laptop as if it were a desktop purely with this monitor (wanting a external keyboard anyway as my laptop has issues) or to take advantage of all the screen space available for me and use two displays.
My laptop is a long way from the fastest thing in the world though so this is my major stumbling point. How bad on ram is having two monitors?
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

RAM shouldn't be a problem at all. It's your vidcard that's going to drive both monitors.

DontSayBanana

Iorm's correct that the load would be on the video card and not on the RAM itself.

It would depend whether you're running dual displays or have simply switched the output to VGA.  You could do it and see no real change by using a USB keyboard and mouse, closing the lid while having the computer set to only kill the display when the lid is closed, and running the monitor on VGA-out.
Experience bij!

Josquius

Yeah, that it probally wouldn't just be the ram hit me after I posted it.
So anyway; how bad is it on the video card?
I'd guess it will work OK?- when my video card is running heavily (playing games) I can't be using two displays anyway.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Is it atypical to run dual displays (one being a laptop)?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on December 02, 2009, 04:59:44 PM
Yeah, that it probally wouldn't just be the ram hit me after I posted it.
So anyway; how bad is it on the video card?

With anything other than the cheapest onboard video, not bad at all.

Garbon, I run dual monitors when I'm using GIMP or some other similar program with floating toolbars.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 02, 2009, 05:08:07 PM
Garbon, I run dual monitors when I'm using GIMP or some other similar program with floating toolbars.

Only reason I ask is because I do it all the time and have been for years. In fact not a day goes by at my current job that I don't.

And GIMP...eww. I hate their icon. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on December 02, 2009, 05:12:00 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 02, 2009, 05:08:07 PM

Only reason I ask is because I do it all the time and have been for years. In fact not a day goes by at my current job that I don't.

And GIMP...eww. I hate their icon. :blush:

Agreed.  Problem is, since S has the MacBook in Philly and I'm on Windows, I couldn't just install our copy of Adobe CS4 on my laptop. :(
Experience bij!