News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How long's your commute?

Started by Brazen, December 02, 2009, 05:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How long does it take you to travel from home to work (one way)?

I work from home
2 (4.1%)
Less than 15 minutes
13 (26.5%)
16 - 30 minutes
12 (24.5%)
31 - 45 minutes
6 (12.2%)
45 minutes - 1 hour
6 (12.2%)
1 hour to 1.5 hours
0 (0%)
1.5 hours to 2 hours
3 (6.1%)
More than 2 hours (sucker)
0 (0%)
I don't work
3 (6.1%)
It varies, I work on client sites etc.
2 (4.1%)
My regular commute is short but I travel a lot
2 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Iormlund

Quote from: Brazen on December 02, 2009, 05:49:06 AM
Those of you who drive 10-15 minutes - couldn't you walk? :P

No. First because I have a retarded 2-and-a-half-hour lunch break, which would make me lose 3 hours each day commuting. And second because I might have to go fix stuff somewhere (usually a badly communicated industrial park not necessarily in this city) without notice - and I have to carry a computer, safety equipment and clothes, tools and so on to do so.

Monoriu

KRonn

I'm 15 miles from work, some highway and some slower back roads, traffic lights, minor traffic congestion. Takes me a half hour or a bit more to get to and from work. Doing the commute in non rush hour it can take well under a half hour. I drive, even though my work place is in the city outskirts with public transit. But for me public transit isn't convenient or efficient, so it's just much faster and easier to drive. I have parking at work, which I do pay a small fee for.

HVC

Quote from: Iormlund on December 02, 2009, 09:12:23 AM

No. First because I have a retarded 2-and-a-half-hour lunch break, which would make me lose 3 hours each day commuting. And second because I might have to go fix stuff somewhere (usually a badly communicated industrial park not necessarily in this city) without notice - and I have to carry a computer, safety equipment and clothes, tools and so on to do so.
2 and a half hours? that what some people get in one week lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

At the moment I am working in a different place than usual. It's a 30-35 minute drive at normal speed (100-130 kph for most of the distance).

If the road is free and I drive fast (200+ kph where legal), I can do it in about 20 minutes. But I rarely do that as it costs so much fuel. :(

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on December 02, 2009, 11:18:51 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 02, 2009, 09:12:23 AM

2 and a half hours? that what some people get in one week lol

Welcome to the world of crazy long Spanish lunchtimes.  :lol:

Grey Fox

Do they sleep in that time?

I take 30mins to eat lunch & half of it is spent reading.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 02, 2009, 11:44:59 AM

The rationale for such long hours, I guess, is that they expect people to go back home for lunch and then back to work. If you do that, you kinda need that much time.

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on December 02, 2009, 11:42:09 AM

How do you guys get anything done?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on December 02, 2009, 11:48:41 AM

The rationale for such long hours, I guess, is that they expect people to go back home for lunch and then back to work. If you do that, you kinda need that much time.
is your work day 10 and a half hours to compensate? I'm thinking of moving to spain :D

Grey Fox

That's true.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

About 15 minutes of driving, another 5-10 minutes of walking due to no parking in our building. <_<

Could I walk it?  Given the big-ass hill involved, and the occasional -40 weather, hell no.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on December 02, 2009, 11:49:41 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 02, 2009, 11:42:09 AM

How do you guys get anything done?

It's the old-fashioned way, it's not that common anymore.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on December 02, 2009, 11:50:50 AM

is your work day 10 and a half hours to compensate? I'm thinking of moving to spain :D

Workdays of 9-10 hours, lunchtime included, are not unusual. My standard workday used to be from 9 to 19h, with a 1 hour lunch break.

Oh, that and lots of unpaid overtime hours.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on December 02, 2009, 11:35:01 AM
If the road is free and I drive fast (200+ kph where legal), I can do it in about 20 minutes. But I rarely do that as it costs so much fuel. :(
Damn, how am I going to explain the stain on the front of my pants to co-workers?