And we're back!

Main Menu

Sick Days - How sick is sick enough?

Started by merithyn, December 01, 2009, 06:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 07:54:13 PM
Sounds like you are a workaholic.
Not really, as i understand workaholicism.  I just really, genuinely enjoy going to work each day.   Every day, I see at least one student come to some sudden realization that they had never considered before. That's kind of intoxicating, so I want to see it tomorrow, too.

If that is workoholicism, I plead guilty.  It is the most rewarding feeling outside of sex, as far as I am concerned.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Warspite

I would only take a sick day if I simply could not be productive to a reasonable degree.

However, I can work from home quite easily so even if I could drag myself to the office, why bother? I can do my work from bed if needs be.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 07:29:55 PM
Doing the stupid thing because you are too cowardly to do the right thing or too lazy to come up with a satisfactory alternative solution is still stupid.

Why would I take a sick day if I'm going to be working? Why would I work from home if I know it will reflect negatively on me?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on December 01, 2009, 08:00:51 PM
It is the most rewarding feeling outside of sex, as far as I am concerned.

Sad.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

If I'm contagious, I stay home.

If not but I am feeling bad, I have a way of knowing whether or not I will be able to be effective at work: I get up and take a shower and get dressed. After that, I sometimes feel good enough to work. If I am still feeling crappy enough to need to stay home/immobile/whatever after having woken up to that point and past the normal feeling like death in the morning stage, then I stay home.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 01, 2009, 08:14:13 PM
I stay home when I'm well.
Indeed.  In the Navy, we used to say "never waste a sick day on a day you are too ill to enjoy it."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Its all down to mood for me.
Sometimes I'm quite ill but still want to go, othertimes I'm not at all too ill and don't at all feel like it. I guess being mental is sort of being ill but...meh.
██████
██████
██████

Strix

Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 06:48:35 PM
I hate idiots who go to work while sick and then end up giving the entire office the disease and complain when everyone else is out sick.

I fixed that for you!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

Our Union gives us a ton of sick, vacation, personal, and other assorted days off. So, I never use my sick days because they can be used to count towards retirement.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

katmai

Never missed a day on tv/film job from sickness, injury though is different matter.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Does that mean you'd rather fuck one of your students than enlighten them, grumbler?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 06:48:35 PM
I hate idiots who go to work while sick and then end up giving the entire office the disease.

Is that how you got Herpes?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 01, 2009, 08:00:51 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 07:54:13 PM
Sounds like you are a workaholic.
Not really, as i understand workaholicism.  I just really, genuinely enjoy going to work each day.   Every day, I see at least one student come to some sudden realization that they had never considered before. That's kind of intoxicating, so I want to see it tomorrow, too.

If that is workoholicism, I plead guilty.  It is the most rewarding feeling outside of sex, as far as I am concerned.

What's the most rewarding feeling inside sex?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grallon

Quote from: merithyn on December 01, 2009, 06:18:01 PM
Because illness is such a huge deal these days to many people, I'm curious to know how Languish handles illness. How sick do you have to be in order for you to stay home from work or school?

I have 5 sick days guarenteed and I make a point to take them all.  Especially considering the fuckers who pay me never give any raises or bonuses.  I call most of them 'mental health' sick days.  Next monday will be one such - it's the last I have for this year.  ^_^

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel