News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Continued Appeal of High Fantasy?

Started by Queequeg, December 01, 2009, 05:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Lettow77 on December 01, 2009, 08:29:20 PM
High Fantasy is appealing and harkens back to western culture, which is nice if your a reactionary.
Western culture isn't a period in the past that one can hearken back too :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 02, 2009, 01:16:40 PM
Western culture isn't a period in the past that one can hearken back too :mellow:

Western culture is dead and only existed at one idyllic moment in the past.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 07:51:19 PMHave you actually played Dragon Age?

I wouldn't call it a game where "evil is relatively easy to identify".

Have you actually read the thread?  It's a thread about the "Continued Appeal of High Fantasy", not a specific game.

Jacob

Quote from: Slargos on December 01, 2009, 08:25:54 PMIs it even possible to completely divorce fiction from historical context? What would that kind of fiction even look like?

I don't think so, but at this point I think high fantasy are several more layers of reference away from the historical context than the equivalent Chinese stuff and since that was part of what Caliga was talking about I wanted to acknowledge that.

Jacob

Quote from: Jaron on December 01, 2009, 09:42:21 PM
Thats going to get harder and harder. Good story telling or no, the modern gamer and maybe even reader is too lazy to bother fully learning a new lore. What is familiar is most comforting.

Yeah it's true.  It also isn't helped by the fact that most "new lore" that people come up with is fantastically tedious.  Who cares if Shmebiggan from the land of Crapulitania is concerned about the Maboggins invading through the mountains of Blabbablabba to gain control of the ancient Uggadax and institute the the worship of the foul Flaxlords or whatever?  Most "new lore" is just silly names and one dimensional stereotypes it seems to me.

The "lore" should serve the interest of the story and the world, and if it is to serve the world there needs to be a point to why it's different.

Caliga

That's actually the way I've felt about the lore in Dragon Age.  I don't feel like trying to remember all the background shit, nor am I impressed with all of the supposed work went into constructing it like alot of people seem to be.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

Quote from: Caliga on December 02, 2009, 02:39:17 PM
That's actually the way I've felt about the lore in Dragon Age.  I don't feel like trying to remember all the background shit, nor am I impressed with all of the supposed work went into constructing it like alot of people seem to be.

Work?  They ripped off a dozen different sources and, for their countries, just said "fuck it" and took stereotypes of various kingdoms during the Middle Ages.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grallon

I think you have a problem with this game for some reason. :P  I found the DA lore to well done for what it is - a bakcground setting.  Sure it's a number of clichés but what isn't these days?

Here's a good candidate for an RPG - one that should please everyone since it's very different in terms of settings and the main character is gay.  :lol:

The Stone Dance of the Chameleon - http://www.ricardopinto.com/index.php - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stone_Dance_of_the_Chameleon

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Caliga

Quote from: Habbaku on December 02, 2009, 02:54:43 PM

Work?  They ripped off a dozen different sources and, for their countries, just said "fuck it" and took stereotypes of various kingdoms during the Middle Ages.
That's why I said "supposed work" :huh:  But I mean one time I looked in the DA forums someplace and a bunch of fanbois were all "OMG MOST ORIGENUL SETTING EVAR"
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

I dunno - with DA:O I'm vaguely impressed that they sat down and gave some thought to the setting and it's history.  Many games/settings really just invent the stuff as they go along.

But yeah in the end it's just background.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on December 02, 2009, 02:54:43 PM

That is not fair they definitely put work and thought in to it.  But yes the whole idea was to use recognizable archetypes and put a spin on them.  For somebody who doesn't care they don't have to work hard to recognize what is there and for somebody who does there is alot of detail to enjoy.

It looks like to me you are just trying to put the worst possible spin on it.  I assure you enormous games like Dragon Age take alot of thought and effort.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 02, 2009, 02:57:08 PM
That's why I said "supposed work" :huh:  But I mean one time I looked in the DA forums someplace and a bunch of fanbois were all "OMG MOST ORIGENUL SETTING EVAR"

Well it was intentionally designed to be the "spiritual successor to Baldu's Gate" so it was never intended to be original in the first place but classic fantasy with some touches.  Naturally some people confuse liking the game with attaching every single hyperbole they can imagine and hammering everything critical about it. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on December 02, 2009, 02:31:08 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2009, 07:51:19 PMHave you actually played Dragon Age?

I wouldn't call it a game where "evil is relatively easy to identify".

Have you actually read the thread?  It's a thread about the "Continued Appeal of High Fantasy", not a specific game.

Don't worry Jacob, in the DA thread Marti was going on about how is was grouped with his "evil" party that made him do "evil" things and now he is replaying with his "good" party and doing "good" things.

So while he would call DA a game where evil is not easy to indentify he was in fact able to indentify the evil and so I will leave it to others to conclude whether it is easy or not.

PDH

As a friend of mine said once, "High fantasy is when people don't shit."  Lore or not, it is very hard to do properly so that the setting seems "real."  Too often it is repetitive regurgitation, the same things over and over that don't just seem to work.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on December 02, 2009, 01:43:42 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 02, 2009, 01:16:40 PM

Western culture is dead and only existed at one idyllic moment in the past.

Apparently the one with Elves.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017