News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Continued Appeal of High Fantasy?

Started by Queequeg, December 01, 2009, 05:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Too many fantasy authors (including especially game story authors) are uncreative, simply rehashing what's been done over, and over, and over. I'd like to see some fresher fantasy settings that get away from the Tolkinesque D&D stuff.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Jaron

Thats going to get harder and harder. Good story telling or no, the modern gamer and maybe even reader is too lazy to bother fully learning a new lore. What is familiar is most comforting.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valmy

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 01, 2009, 09:32:28 PM
Too many fantasy authors (including especially game story authors) are uncreative, simply rehashing what's been done over, and over, and over. I'd like to see some fresher fantasy settings that get away from the Tolkinesque D&D stuff.

Yeah I don't see the point.  You can tell a perfectly entertaining and compelling story with the established tropes and archetypes.  If somebody out there has a compelling new idea then I will be happy to see it but no concept produces more crap then trying to be different for the sake of being different. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on December 01, 2009, 09:42:21 PM
Thats going to get harder and harder. Good story telling or no, the modern gamer and maybe even reader is too lazy to bother fully learning a new lore. What is familiar is most comforting.

Nonsense.  Of course they will if it is good and compelling.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Jaron

Most of the stuff comes out ends up looking like an acid trip. Like Neverending Story or something.

Jaron

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2009, 09:47:27 PM
Quote from: Jaron on December 01, 2009, 09:42:21 PM

Nonsense.  Of course they will if it is good and compelling.

Pinch me when you return to reality. No, they will not.

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on December 01, 2009, 05:35:22 PM
And next-to-nothing has ever been done about them.

The Forgotten Realms had huge nations devoted to those cultures but nobody had much interest.  It is hard to get people all excited about the archetype of the heroic Sumerian unless you introduce it in a way that gets people excited.

Jade Empire was a sort of meh action game that did seem to have a good plot...but I was playing it on X-Box and the thing kept dying on me.  I also heard it was short...and that is not good.

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on December 01, 2009, 09:47:54 PM
Pinch me when you return to reality. No, they will not.

I would name an example but I don't believe anybody has come up with something wholly original in centuries.  Harry Potter, which was a very different sort of fantasy, basically combined lots of other well known story elements and tropes together.

Jaron

Harry Potter was a "different sort of fantasy"? Really?

Evil wizards and magical spells is way off the radar in your book, eh?

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on December 01, 2009, 09:55:55 PM
Harry Potter was a "different sort of fantasy"? Really?

Evil wizards and magical spells is way off the radar in your book, eh?

So....you want a fantasy story with no evil wizards and magical spells eh?  Do you next want Sci Fi that is not set in space?

Anyway I meant it was a fantasy story that was a different sort than the standard Tolkienesque D&D stuff.

Jaron

Oh.

I wasn't aware Tolkien didnt have wizards, magic, and dragons..

OH WAIT.

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on December 01, 2009, 10:03:30 PM
Oh.

I wasn't aware Tolkien didnt have wizards, magic, and dragons..

OH WAIT.

Well since my entire point was that even when they stray from the standard quasi-medieval fantasy Kingdom thing it still isn't very original that simply backs up what I was trying to say.

Jaron

BS.

Your original point was that Harry Potter was a very different kind of fantasy sewn together from a lot of commonly held notion.

MY point is that Harry Potter is not different at all.

Quit arguing with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on December 01, 2009, 10:19:04 PM
BS.

Your original point was that Harry Potter was a very different kind of fantasy sewn together from a lot of commonly held notion.

MY point is that Harry Potter is not different at all.

Quit arguing with me.

Ok what was the previous fantasy novel set in a modern day wizard boarding school where the central plot revolved around teenagers going through puberty with wizards?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2009, 09:46:22 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 01, 2009, 09:32:28 PM

Yeah I don't see the point.  You can tell a perfectly entertaining and compelling story with the established tropes and archetypes.  If somebody out there has a compelling new idea then I will be happy to see it but no concept produces more crap then trying to be different for the sake of being different.

The problem is that most writers who are lazy and rip off Tolkien and D&D are too lazy to create interesting, dynamic characters or tell an indepth, well-plotted story.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help