News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

1941, pivotal or all around nightmare

Started by Darth Wagtaros, November 30, 2009, 10:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was Spielberg's 1941 a disaster, as some claimed, or a mildly amusing B movie?

I loved it.
13 (65%)
I hated it.
2 (10%)
I think about Jaron while watching it and touching myself.
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Caliga

Might be a generational thing, I dunno.  I don't think it's a particularly great movie but I guess I assumed everyone had at least heard of it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Of course he hasn't heard of it. Everyone knows 1941 was made later on in England, and that is the conventional understanding of it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on December 01, 2009, 08:35:42 AM
Might be a generational thing, I dunno.  I don't think it's a particularly great movie but I guess I assumed everyone had at least heard of it.

It was made in 1979, it isn't a giant success. Unless it's a really great movie, if it's made before 1990, I have probably not heard of it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

How about Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo?  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on December 01, 2009, 12:35:52 AM
I expect el jefe buttanger to comment with my favorite part of movie.

You sneaky little batards aren't getting doodly shit from me, except maybe my name, rank, and Social Security number: Wood, Hollis P., Lumberjack, Social Security 106-43-2185

Jesus Palomino, a Nazi. I knew it, you're all in cahoots. Well let me tell you something, Mr. Heinie Kraut, I fought your kind in the great war, and we kicked the living shit out of you!

How can a man take a bowel movement with a hundred buffalo rifles a-pointin' at him?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

It was like a lot of comedies:  funny in some bits, unfunny in others.  Overall, I enjoyed it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

Saw it as a kid and absolutely loved it.  I still do  :)

I couldn't believe it when someone said it was a bomb.

KRonn

Very funny movie, I liked it. Liked the part with Belushi landing his P-40 on a road, going into a gas station for gas. Or the cannon being put up in a civilian home on the coast, which later probably does more damage on the home than the sub it shoots at. Other funny, off beat stuff. I'm surprised that the movie did poorly, though I would think it's done well over the years in reruns and cable tv showings? Hmm, but I haven't seen it shown in a long time, even on cable.

Razgovory

Was funnier then some of Spielberg's other stuff.  Much funnier then Schindler's List.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lucidor

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2009, 10:07:18 AM
Was funnier then some of Spielberg's other stuff.  Much funnier then Schindler's List.
:face:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2009, 10:07:18 AM

Your humor has improved over the past couple of years. I'm proud of you.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

It's on Netflix On Demand. Just about done watching it.  Still hilarious.

If only Kelly's Heroes was also available there.
PDH!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

I've heard of it, in that I've heard of it referred to as a bomb or dud.  I've never seen it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

Spielberg has said that he had too much success and not enough experience before starting 1941 so he took on the project and tried to do every aspect of the job himself: the direction, the cinematography, the editing, the script, the effects, etc... in every aspect of the production Spielberg applied himself beyond the role of director and the movie suffered because of it.  This is what he is talking about when he says it's his biggest failure.  He didn't trust the pros working for him to do their job.