News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dubai debt plea sends fear around world

Started by jimmy olsen, November 27, 2009, 04:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Heh, they're showing one of these "Megastructures" documentaries on TV right now, and it's about the Palm Islands in Dubai. It's funny to hear how they heap praise on the "boldness", "audacity" and "vision" of the project, and so on.

Viking

I gotta go with Cal. Dubai is a house of cards. It is funded by grants from Abu Dhabi. All the companies that have gone there are companies which support the oil industry (from Apple to Xerox). The Emirate is not developing a post oil industry, it is maximizing the business opportunities given by oil.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: The Larch on November 29, 2009, 07:57:33 AM
Heh, they're showing one of these "Megastructures" documentaries on TV right now, and it's about the Palm Islands in Dubai. It's funny to hear how they heap praise on the "boldness", "audacity" and "vision" of the project, and so on.
Those things are praiseworthy.  They were unlucky this time, but it's nice to see those qualities somewhere in the world.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on November 29, 2009, 07:57:33 AM
When I saw them a while back, the utter wastefulness of it just struck me.  Same with Abu Dhabi, really.  The only thing missing from their new Formula 1 track is being paved with gold.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on November 27, 2009, 09:29:45 AM
Actually, evidence would seem that it isn't.  Las Vegas is still doing alright.

It's interesting how everyone is jumping on the Death to Dubai train.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on November 29, 2009, 08:37:22 AM
Those things are praiseworthy.  They were unlucky this time, but it's nice to see those qualities somewhere in the world.

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2009, 04:17:26 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 27, 2009, 09:29:45 AM
Actually, evidence would seem that it isn't.  Las Vegas is still doing alright.

It's interesting how everyone is jumping on the Death to Dubai train.

They are Muslims.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

You know, it strikes me as somewhat counter productive to root for a middle east economy that is working towards modernization to fail.  But hey, maybe they can all go to Switzerland and erect illegal minarets.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on November 29, 2009, 07:18:41 PM
You know, it strikes me as somewhat counter productive to root for a middle east economy that is working towards modernization to fail.  But hey, maybe they can all go to Switzerland and erect illegal minarets.

They are just pretending to modernize. Inside every dune coon is a black heart.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Shades of the Dubai ports deal that got shot down by the Democrats.

garbon

That's what I meant with my comment.

DGuller

I don't think anyone is rooting here.  I think most people are just chuckling inside.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 29, 2009, 07:34:12 PM
I don't think anyone is rooting here.  I think most people are just chuckling inside.

Understandable. After all, how would we define ourselves without our enemies in the East?

Neil

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2009, 07:38:09 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 29, 2009, 07:34:12 PM

Understandable. After all, how would we define ourselves without our enemies in the East?
DorseyGuller is the enemy to the East.  He sends monthly reports to Pooty-poot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 29, 2009, 07:33:52 PM

That's what I meant with my comment.

It's sad when you and I are the only rational ones here.