News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dubai debt plea sends fear around world

Started by jimmy olsen, November 27, 2009, 04:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

I wouldn't mind a 4 hour stop over in Dubai someday to go to the top of the Burj Dubai.

Dubai will be fine though, it's primarily meant for Arabs and Muslims anyway.  The demographics of that place are crazy though, 85% of the population are foreigners.

Richard Hakluyt

The vulgarity of Dubai has provided an immense service to anyone with a modicum of taste though, it enables them to feel superior and one isn't even obliged to visit it  :)

I think we should despatch Brian Sewell to make a documentary about the place and it's architecture  :cool:

er......assuming his health is up to it, would not like him to die of apoplexy.

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on November 27, 2009, 10:46:38 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on November 27, 2009, 10:23:46 AM
Can ya link to the Guardian piece?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/mar/20/dubai-decline-middle-east

I hardly consider it celebratory. It states what I did - it was a massive monument to human folly and hubris, and now it collapses, like anyone with more than two brain cells that were not addled by greed could predict. This is of course not good news since its downfall will send ripples across the world's economy and like usual, affect the lives of those as well who did not conceive or benefit from its folly.

Would you rather have people stay blind and keep to their wishful thinking while the world around them predictably collapses?

Admiral Yi

It would be interesting to know who's sitting on that 60 billion of debt.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Minsky Moment

Obviously they overbuilt, and in that respect, they are pretty much like just about everywhere else in the West.

The basic port facilities and operations are still sound, and a quick glance at the map suggests that competitive advantage is likely to endure.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 27, 2009, 11:32:56 AM

I'd assume chinamen.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 27, 2009, 01:34:21 PM

I'd assume chinamen.

I'm not that sure. The Chinamen gives the US money because the US buys a lot of shit produce in China. The same can (probably) not be said for Dubai.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jaron

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 27, 2009, 01:38:50 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 27, 2009, 01:34:21 PM

I'd assume chinamen.

I'm not that sure. The Chinamen gives the US money because the US buys a lot of shit produce in China. The same can (probably) not be said for Dhubai.

:huh:

China has a vested interest in the Middle East. Where else would they find a market for their second rate missiles?

Grey Fox

Fair point.

Does the UAE buy a lot of missiles tho? or give money to those that do?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

UAE buys American or Western European I'd bet. If you've got the oil cash, why buy shitty east bloc equipment?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

we should lock a bunch of Euros up in a room, in Guantanamo perhaps, and make them listen to American patriotic songs. I bet you by hour 4 they melt or disappear into spheres of radiant light.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 27, 2009, 01:49:29 PM
Cause you get more of it, perhaps.
Which is a real factor when your whole army is lik 60 guys.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 27, 2009, 01:38:50 PM
I'm not that sure. The Chinamen gives the US money because the US buys a lot of shit produce in China. The same can (probably) not be said for Dubai.

China is the largest importer in the UAE