News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Continued Appeal of High Fantasy?

Started by Queequeg, December 01, 2009, 05:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on December 02, 2009, 08:01:53 PM
As a friend of mine said once, "High fantasy is when people don't shit."  Lore or not, it is very hard to do properly so that the setting seems "real."  Too often it is repetitive regurgitation, the same things over and over that don't just seem to work.
This strikes me as largely accurate.  I never doubted that people shat in the Thief, universe for instance, and that is one of my favorite sci-fi/fantasy universes around.

Hell, I think I flashbombed and clubbed a few guards while making the effort.   :lol:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Slargos

I find Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" to be a very fresh series while we're on the subject of originality.

ulmont

Quote from: Slargos on December 02, 2009, 09:05:18 PM
I find Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" to be a very fresh series while we're on the subject of originality.

I like Erikson a lot, but it strikes me as the Black Company series from the viewpoint of the Taken.

saskganesh

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on December 02, 2009, 01:11:37 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on December 02, 2009, 11:32:56 AM
I have already stated I am tired of elves and other tolkienesque/D&D races. any new fantasy game or book that involves those ... at this point ... will probably be ignored by me.

So you'll ignore one game every 3-5 years?

? there's more than one game a year published that features elves et al.
humans were created in their own image

Grallon

Quote from: Slargos on December 02, 2009, 09:05:18 PM

He delights in deus Ex and hyperbole far too much.  :thumbsdown: 

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel