News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I hate Yank Thanksgiving

Started by Barrister, November 26, 2009, 02:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

All the American posters are stuffing their faces with turkey, and making this place a lot quieter today.   :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

It probally messes up TV schedules unecessarily too.
Probally.
Nothing I'm desperate to watch right now.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

Hey, General Meade killed thousands of Southerners so that we could eat turkey today - show some respect.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2009, 02:03:22 PM
All the American posters are stuffing their faces with turkey, and making this place a lot quieter today.   :mad:

Boohoo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I would post a nasty response but I'm too stoned on turkey.

Barrister

You people are really letting me down on a boring office day.   :mad:

Jaron

*invites BB over and seats him at the guest of honor spot!!!!*
Winner of THE grumbler point.

viper37

All the American posters are stuffing their faces with turkey, and making this place a lot quieter today.   :mad:
I'm curious, did this tradition ever came to Canada with the massive loyalists influx?  When we have our Thanksgiving, do you guys celebrate in any way? 

I'm usually at work on Thanksgiving, having a no-phone day in the office is quite a relieve! :P  And so far as I know in Quebec, there's no such thing as family tradition for Thanksgiving.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 26, 2009, 06:45:23 PM
I'm curious, did this tradition ever came to Canada with the massive loyalists influx?  When we have our Thanksgiving, do you guys celebrate in any way? 

Absolutely.  It's a big family feast kind of thing like the Americans do.

I don't think it's uniquely American (or North American) however - people have 'harvest festivals' all over the world.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on November 26, 2009, 06:45:23 PM

I'm usually at work on Thanksgiving, having a no-phone day in the office is quite a relieve! :P  And so far as I know in Quebec, there's no such thing as family tradition for Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving holiday postdates the Revolution by almost a hundred years.  It was made a holiday during the civil war.  It's a Yankee holiday.  No Southerners allowed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

It's a lot huger in the States than it is up here (Canada). You guys have parades and football and stuff. We just have turkey.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that you've turned it into a four-day orgy. That allows family to gather from all over the States, moreso than Christmas, where it's just a one-day event.

Here, Christmas is at the very minimum, a two day event (Dec 26th is a holiday). And most of us take Christmas Eve off, turning it into a three day event and on most years, this runs into the weekend. In fact I normally am able to take Dec 24th to Jan.2 off, only using up two or three days of vacation.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2009, 06:51:28 PM
It's a Yankee holiday.  No Southerners allowed.
Don't say that... some Euros might actually believe you.  If you want to practice disinformation go work for Hans. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2009, 06:23:14 PM

You fuckers ruined my parents' vacation to Nova Scotia once.  When they got there, they were up shit creek because everything was closed. VICTORIA DAY??? WTF???

So there.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2009, 08:29:04 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2009, 06:23:14 PM

You fuckers ruined my parents' vacation to Nova Scotia once.  When they got there, they were up shit creek because everything was closed. VICTORIA DAY??? WTF???

So there.

And that Boxing day.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on November 26, 2009, 07:34:12 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2009, 06:51:28 PM
It's a Yankee holiday.  No Southerners allowed.
Don't say that... some Euros might actually believe you.  If you want to practice disinformation go work for Hans. :)

I'm his replacement.  New administration, new Commissar.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017