News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Conservatives defend gay rights in Uganda

Started by viper37, November 25, 2009, 10:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Something to make Grallon proud of his government :)  And Marty is now wishing he was born in here ;) :P

Ugandan law targeting gays is vile and hateful: minister

OTTAWA — The Conservative government is making its strongest defence yet of human rights for gays and lesbians, calling a proposed Ugandan law that would imprison and even execute homosexuals "vile and hateful."
The condemnation comes as Prime Minister Stephen Harper prepares to join leaders of Commonwealth countries at a meeting in Trinidad and Tobago this weekend.
The Ugandan "anti-homosexuality bill" is already spurring international calls for the country's suspension from the organization.
Peter Kent, minister of state for foreign affairs, said in an interview with The Canadian Press that the government would find an opportunity to convey a strong message to Uganda during the Commonwealth meeting.
"Our position is that the proposed Uganda law is reprehensible, vile and hateful and it's appalling that such legislation would be brought to the parliament of a commonwealth democracy," said Kent, who's scheduled to leave for the meetings Thursday.
"At the Commonwealth summit, we'll convey Canada's position that if that law is in fact passed, Canada would consider it unacceptable and a gross infringement of human rights in Uganda."
The bill would send anyone who has engaged in homosexual activity to prison for life. Those found guilty of "aggravated homosexuality," for having had sex while HIV positive or with someone under the age of 18, would face a death sentence.
Anyone found to be promoting gays and lesbians on the Internet or through the media would also face prison, as would anyone who does not expose homosexuality when they find out about it.
The bill is being framed as a defence for heterosexual marriage in the country.
The author of an anonymous blog for gays and lesbians in Uganda, called Gay Uganda, predicted that the community would experience even more backlash because of the international scrutiny, but welcomed the attention.
"For the good of the world, we can suffer a little bit. Expose the homophobes. Let Ugandan leaders understand that they cannot just kill their people, just because they are 'dirty'. Yes, let them know that the price is international distaste."
The author also praised well-known Canadian Stephen Lewis, co-director of AIDS-Free World and a former UN envoy, for a speech he recently delivered condemning the legislation as quasi-fascist, and suggesting the international response to it will put the Commonwealth's legitimacy to the test.
Uganda is the outgoing chair of the Commonwealth organization, and so will have a high-profile role at the current meeting.
The proposed legislation is a private member's bill, but a government minister has praised it. Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni has yet to comment on it as it goes through the parliamentary process.
In 2007-2008, Canada sent $23.75 million in aid to Uganda, largely in the areas of peace-building and education.
Kent decline to indicate what concrete action Canada might take should the bill pass in the Ugandan parliament.    Copyright ©  2009   The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

If they pass it, I will have them prosecute Martinus under the law.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Yea, this has been floating around for a while, and the Archbishop of Canterbury's silence on this has been pretty damning.

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on November 25, 2009, 10:40:03 PM
Yea, this has been floating around for a while, and the Archbishop of Canterbury's silence on this has been pretty damning.
Not really.  The guy has already come out as being soft on faggotry.

There's no need for every public figure to comment every time one of you people get your panties in a twist.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Wait, the co-director of AIDS-Free World is pro gay?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.