Snow Leopard rabble rabble rabble

Started by MadImmortalMan, November 25, 2009, 07:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

:bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hey, it's 4:00 in the afternoon going into a holiday weekend, and I'm about to go on vacation from now until the month of December is over. I'm kinda bored though, so what should I do??

Oh, hey I know! I'll install Snow Leopard on my laptop that I intend to use while I'm gone...

Hey that was great. It sure is pretty. Wait, why can't I get my emails anymore? Why can't I get online? Where are my apps? OMG EMERGENCY!!!!111111

FAIL

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

:console:

I hope you get it figured out quickly.

I guess in retrospect upgrading an OS is not something that should be done at 4pm before going on a month long holiday.  Even OS X.

And by the way I didn't find SL all that pretty - I could barely tell any difference at all...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Thank you.  I'm going to repeat this story every time my wife whines that she wants a Mac. 

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on November 25, 2009, 08:15:41 PM
Thank you.  I'm going to repeat this story every time my wife whines that she wants a Mac.

Since if your wife buys a Mac it'll have Snow Leopard pre-installed that makes the anecdote a particularily bad reason to not buy a Mac.  As bad as DSB's "my girlfriend dropped her laptop and Apple hesitated to fix it" anecdote.

garbon

The easiest is "I like to pinch pennies and macs are not for penny pinchers."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 25, 2009, 08:26:07 PM
The easiest is "I like to pinch pennies and macs are not for penny pinchers."

:yes:  A much better not to buy a Mac.

HisMajestyBOB

I think I'll pass on Snow Leopard. I doubt it adds anything I'd actually use, and I can't get student discounts anymore. When I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard, many of the new features are things I don't use, or use very rarely.

Same for my reason for not using Vista or Win7 on my Windows partition.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Barrister

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 25, 2009, 08:29:26 PM
I think I'll pass on Snow Leopard. I doubt it adds anything I'd actually use, and I can't get student discounts anymore. When I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard, many of the new features are things I don't use, or use very rarely.

Same for my reason for not using Vista or Win7 on my Windows partition.

Meh - if you're any kind of computer geek, how can you not upgrade to the latest version for only $29?

As I mentioned, I struggle to find much new about it either and would only recommend the upgrade due to the low price.

I'm struggling whether to upgrade my Bootcamp partition (currently with XP) over to Win 7.  I would like to move to 64-bit so I can use more than 40% of my RAM, but so far XP does everything I need it to...

Monoriu

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on November 25, 2009, 08:33:29 PM

Meh - if you're any kind of computer geek, how can you not upgrade to the latest version for only $29?

:unsure:
On my work desk sit 3 industrial computers, 2 PCs and other electronic material running code I've written. I'm currently designing a network featuring a thousand participants and quite a few different protocols. I'd say I qualify as a computer geek. Yet I still run XP even though I could have a newer OS for free.

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on November 26, 2009, 09:14:55 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 25, 2009, 08:33:29 PM

:unsure:
On my work desk sit 3 industrial computers, 2 PCs and other electronic material running code I've written. I'm currently designing a network featuring a thousand participants and quite a few different protocols. I'd say I qualify as a computer geek. Yet I still run XP even though I could have a newer OS for free.

As an IT professional you probably have already gotten a chance to "play with" Snow Leopard, or at least you get plenty of time at work to play with different OSes, so you hardly need to do so at home.

For those of us who are merely amateur computer geeks, it's a different story.   :blush:

Iormlund

Not really. But then I don't fit the usual IT guy profile. I deal with industrial applications (machine tools, assembly lines, water treatment and energy generation mostly). Macs are unheard of in such environments. It's a Windows dominated field. All but a few of the workstations I work on run XP Pro 32bit. Some are still on NT while servers use a number of server-dedicated OSs from Microsoft. None run Vista, much less Win 7.

The main problem I see with Macs is they have the same problems as Linux (games, work apps) yet lack the advantages of GPL licensing. They are probably much easier to work with, but that's not really a concern for me. I actually like command line interfaces. :P

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on November 26, 2009, 01:54:10 PM
The main problem I see with Macs is they have the same problems as Linux (games, work apps) yet lack the advantages of GPL licensing. They are probably much easier to work with, but that's not really a concern for me. I actually like command line interfaces. :P

Then you'll be happy to know that OS X has a command line interface. :P

And I'm confused by your statement - you already have a Mac...

Iormlund

Nopes, I've only used Macs at University - and even then just for admin stuff, since engineering apps are usually written for Windows.