News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you pay a premium price for...

Started by Pedrito, November 24, 2009, 10:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you pay a premium price for "beyond organic" meat, poultry and produce?

Organic buyer / YES
9 (20%)
Organic buyer / NO
6 (13.3%)
Non-organic buyer / YES
2 (4.4%)
Non organic buyer /NO
26 (57.8%)
I live of hamburgers flipped by illegal aliens
2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

DGuller

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on November 25, 2009, 02:08:37 AM
Quote from: Fate on November 24, 2009, 01:58:57 PM
Hell no.

There is no good evidence that consumption of organic food is beneficial to health in relation to nutrient content. Organic farming in general is a wasteful Western fetish that consumes more energy, water, and land than standard agriculture practices.

by farming as millions of people have done for thousands of years? weird. "The more you know" I guess.
People were also regularly starving for thousands of years.

Monoriu

The last thing I need is more nutrients  :blush:

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: DGuller on November 25, 2009, 02:14:17 AM
Hell no.

There is no good evidence that consumption of organic food is beneficial to health in relation to nutrient content. Organic farming in general is a wasteful Western fetish that consumes more energy, water, and land than standard agriculture practices.

by farming as millions of people have done for thousands of years? weird. "The more you know" I guess.
People were also regularly starving for thousands of years.

um yeah they were all starving  :rolleyes:

Most people in the west eat processed food crap all day every day to start with. so it's a moot point.

but so a niche market exists? who cares.
:p

Siege

Pedrito, next time name your fucking thread in a proper descriptive manner.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to load a page using this fucking iraqi ISP?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Fate

Hell no.

If humans farmed as wastefully as they did in 1000 AD, then there would not be enough food to support the population.

Strix

No. I like the theory but I think right now that people are just preying on the guilt of people to make money.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Martinus

Quote from: Strix on November 26, 2009, 08:50:12 AM
No. I like the theory but I think right now that people are just preying on the guilt of people to make money.

Well, it answers a demand. The "feel good" factor is something that some people are willing to pay for - it's the matter of a personal cost-benefit balance.

After all, we pay for alcohol or computer games for the very same reason - to make us feel good.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Strix on November 26, 2009, 08:50:12 AM
Doesn't that work more with things like Fair Trade than organic?  In my experience the fans of organic stuff are middle class foodies.  The same sort of people who have nor problem paying for their rodent shit coffee to be transported from Indonesia.  Not an environmental bunch.

Though I understand that the market for this is far less developed in the US.  I know that Whole Foods bought an organic supermarket chain in the UK and are now down to one store (though they say they're going to stick it out), they said that the UK market for this sort of thing was just another world than the American one.  Here you have Waitrose, M&S, a fair few local independents and, arguably, the Coop all vying for the same middle class market with the emphasis on very good ethical food.
Let's bomb Russia!