News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you pay a premium price for...

Started by Pedrito, November 24, 2009, 10:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you pay a premium price for "beyond organic" meat, poultry and produce?

Organic buyer / YES
9 (20%)
Organic buyer / NO
6 (13.3%)
Non-organic buyer / YES
2 (4.4%)
Non organic buyer /NO
26 (57.8%)
I live of hamburgers flipped by illegal aliens
2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 24, 2009, 01:21:30 PM
Much healthier.  He is quite right that ruminants do get sick when feed grains (corn mostly).  As a result feed lots have to pump them full of antibiotics to keep them alive long enough to fatten them for slaughter. (snip)
Quick research says that it is the crowding that causes the illness rates to increase, and that the impact of the high grain diet is that the cows lack fiber, and so, as you note in the snipped bit, have a higher rate of e.coli (which flourishes in the resulting high-acid environment).

We agree that feedlot cattle need much higher levels of antibiotics but that range-fed cattle still need them; range-fed cattle are not "perfectly healthy" as was asserted, just "healthier."

QuoteAs for taste that is a personal thing.  But the taste of organic grass feed beef is far superior to my taste and I am willing to pay a premium for that.
Blind taste tests indicate the opposite.  That may, however, be due to the superior appearance of the feedlot-cattle meat.

QuoteAlso, anyone who says there is no difference between free range eggs and normal industrial eggs has simply not looked at them side by side.  the colour, texture and taste are completely different.
I haven't made this comparison, so will take your word for it.

QuoteFree range eggs have much more nutritional value as does grass fed beef.
The meat side of this seems pretty well-established; lower fat meat and higher omega-3 levels are found in range-fed animals.  Haven't found anything about the eggs, but your assertion seems quite credible.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on November 24, 2009, 05:11:04 PM
Blind taste tests indicate the opposite.  That may, however, be due to the superior appearance of the feedlot-cattle meat.

That is surprising to me.  It may be because feed lot beef has more fat and therefore appeals to a palate that is used to a high fat diet.

QuoteQuick research says that it is the crowding that causes the illness rates to increase

Dig a bit deeper.  Certainly overcrowding plays a role but their immune system is compromised by the fact that they are not being fed grass.  Also, it is not true the free range cattle must be given antiboitics.  None of the free range beef I eat is given antibiotics.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 24, 2009, 05:16:14 PM
That is surprising to me.  It may be because feed lot beef has more fat and therefore appeals to a palate that is used to a high fat diet.
IMO, fat is more crucial for texture than for taste.

The Minsky Moment

It is not surprising to me for the very reason you mention.  The typical consumer equates fatty with better.   Those who prefer a gamier style with more flavor tend to be in the minority.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

I only buy the finest cans of Spam. None of that 'Treet' bullshit.   :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Fate

Quote from: Martinus on November 24, 2009, 04:45:14 PM
I would. I wish they had free range chickens in Polish supermarkets.

To be honest, I don't quite get the hostility/opposition to paying more for higher quality food. We pay more for better tvs or shoes, so surely stuff we put into our own bodies is more important than that?
The opposition exists because there is no good proof that it is higher quality food.

Fate

With regard to grass fed beef - just wait until the climate change movement seizes on the issue. In the future when methane sequestration from ruminate animals will be a serious concern, grass feeding will be illegal. All cattle will be raised in factories with atmospheric controls.

Jacob

I'd definitely try it.  Whether I'd buy it regularly would depend on the price and taste differential.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Fate on November 24, 2009, 06:08:07 PM
With regard to grass fed beef - just wait until the climate change movement seizes on the issue. In the future when methane sequestration from ruminate animals will be a serious concern, grass feeding will be illegal. All cattle will be raised in factories with atmospheric controls.
It is a major issue.  But it's not one we can do much with.  The climate change lot broadly speaking support organic low-intensive local farming with everyone eating less meat.  Unfortunately with meat consumption it's largely a thing that's emerging in the developing world.

But the environmental angle is precisely what's cause me to cut down on the amount of meat I eat.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 24, 2009, 05:40:46 PM

It is not surprising to me for the very reason you mention.  The typical consumer equates fatty with better.   Those who prefer a gamier style with more flavor tend to be in the minority.

I wouldnt describe it as gamey.  I find grass fed beef to be much more rich and flavourful.  Plus I get to tell myself it is healthy.... :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 24, 2009, 06:58:13 PM
It is a major issue.  But it's not one we can do much with.  The climate change lot broadly speaking support organic low-intensive local farming with everyone eating less meat.  Unfortunately with meat consumption it's largely a thing that's emerging in the developing world.

But the environmental angle is precisely what's cause me to cut down on the amount of meat I eat.

The number of animals the Nepalese kill provides a good off set.

Pedrito

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 24, 2009, 06:58:13 PM

Methane is a byproduct of bad digestion, that's caused by feeding the cows what they are not used to eat; if you feed them a mix of grass from a pasture, they will pollute far less, grow healthier and become delicious steaks.
Win-win!  :cool:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Monoriu

I will never buy organic just because it is organic or because of any environmental reasons. 

However, I am willing to pay a premium for better tasting food, organic or not. 

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on November 24, 2009, 07:26:42 PM
I will never buy organic just because it is organic or because of any environmental reasons. 

However, I am willing to pay a premium for better tasting food, organic or not. 

DEVILSADVOCATEDONTSTOMPMYFREAKINGBALLS:

How about paying a premium on not poisoning yourself with the weird chemicals that slip through the food production process?  Chloracne, that weird shit that screwed up Viktor Yuschenko's face- the chemical that causes that shows up in trace amounts in coffee filters.
Experience bij!

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Fate on November 24, 2009, 01:58:57 PM
Hell no.

There is no good evidence that consumption of organic food is beneficial to health in relation to nutrient content. Organic farming in general is a wasteful Western fetish that consumes more energy, water, and land than standard agriculture practices.

by farming as millions of people have done for thousands of years? weird. "The more you know" I guess.
:p