News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you pay a premium price for...

Started by Pedrito, November 24, 2009, 10:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you pay a premium price for "beyond organic" meat, poultry and produce?

Organic buyer / YES
9 (20%)
Organic buyer / NO
6 (13.3%)
Non-organic buyer / YES
2 (4.4%)
Non organic buyer /NO
26 (57.8%)
I live of hamburgers flipped by illegal aliens
2 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Pedrito

Inquiring minds, etc etc  :whistle:

To clarify the question: "beyond organic" meat is produced in farms run by people who think the existent regulations about organic farming are way too loose, i.e. heavily influenced by food producer lobbies.

It is strictly related to the concept of self-sustainable farming systems, and community-supported agriculture.
A good example of this would be http://www.polyfacefarms.com/.

Actually, organic labelled foods are sold at prices between 10 and 40% higher than their non-organic equivalent, and I have no idea how much would cost a "beyond organic" equivalent.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

I wouldn't even pay premium for any kind of organic food.  Drugs are very expensive in US, I'd rather get mine for free with my meat.

Josquius

I'm really poor, just having money to eat decently is something I struggle for. Spending extra to get organic is well beyond me.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yes.  I would once and then continue to buy it if it tasted better.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

I'd give it a try to see if it's worth it.

Pedrito

I recently tried some "normal organic" meat bought from a normal butcher, and I must say that there's a noticeable increase in taste, especially for courtyard meat, i.e. chicken, rabbit and turkey. Beef is more flavorful, while pork meat doesn't seem to gain a lot from organic raising methods.

But, aside from the taste that0's surely important, for me the main issue is about the drugs used to keep the animals healthy (or presumed so) in normal cattle farms.  :x

L.
b / h = h / b+h

DGuller

Would you rather eat the meat from a sick animal?

Warspite

I can taste the difference in meat that's been reared in a traditional manner (not necessarily "organic") as opposed to the cheap stuff. But with fruits and vegetables, not so much.

I would pay a premium for top quality meat if I could.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

DisturbedPervert

Sheilbh

Quote from: Warspite on November 24, 2009, 10:59:20 AM
I can taste the difference in meat that's been reared in a traditional manner (not necessarily "organic") as opposed to the cheap stuff. But with fruits and vegetables, not so much.
This is my experience too.  Especially with chicken.
Let's bomb Russia!

Pedrito

Quote from: DGuller on November 24, 2009, 10:58:33 AM
Would you rather eat the meat from a sick animal?
Ruminants get sick during raising because they are fed cereals to quickly gain weight, but they are not made (or created  :P) to digest cereals: if fed with grass and hay, they stay perfectly healthy, although they gain weight at a far slower rate.
Another cause of sickness are space-intensive stables, when in nature they stay loosely packed on the fields.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

DGuller

If you think about it, the same can be said of humans.  Introduction of the grain-based agriculture caused a significant decline in the health of humans, and we need to rectify it with a bunch of pills.  Maybe the new trend would be having organic humans.

Josephus

Nope.

Why bother? We're all going to die.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PDH

Quote from: DGuller on November 24, 2009, 11:17:35 AM
If you think about it, the same can be said of humans.  Introduction of the grain-based agriculture caused a significant decline in the health of humans, and we need to rectify it with a bunch of pills.  Maybe the new trend would be having organic humans.
Actually, many humans ate grains as a good portion of the diet during seasonal rounds, it was the movement to making this the majority of the diet that caused problems.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM