When should lawyers be able to withdraw from a case?

Started by Barrister, November 23, 2009, 05:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

You can't force a man to work for you. That's called slavery. The judge should be able to make adjustments for counsel that quits. Postpone the case so the new guy can catch up--that sort of thing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

QuoteProfessional standards insufficient to monitor lawyers

Understatement of the year.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2009, 06:10:35 PM
I would rather imagine that the court is going to let a lawyer withdraw if he's not being paid.

But why this should this even be subject to the court's approval?

If you are working for someone and they stop paying you, do you need to go to court to tell you that you are free to stop working for them?

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 23, 2009, 07:02:06 PM
You can't force a man to work for you. That's called slavery.

Errr no. Slavery is forcing someone to work for you for free.

Forcing someone to perform a contract they signed is something normal, especially if the other party performed their part.

Now, it is usually recognized that specific performance in contracts can be counterproductive, especially in cases where it involves some work/service being performed, and it is usually more sensible to award damages to let the client find someone actually willing to work. But it has nothing to do with slavery. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on November 23, 2009, 07:06:18 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 23, 2009, 07:02:06 PM
You can't force a man to work for you. That's called slavery.

Errr no. Slavery is forcing someone to work for you for free.

Forcing someone to perform a contract they signed is something normal, especially if the other party performed their part.

That's indentured servitude.  We also called that "sharecropping".

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on November 23, 2009, 07:06:18 PM

Not in the US, if the contract would require personal services, specifically to avoid the involuntary servitude problem.  Forcing someone to pay damages, sure; forcing someone *not* to take a specified act, ok; forcing someone to actually do something, no.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 23, 2009, 07:04:37 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2009, 06:10:35 PM
I would rather imagine that the court is going to let a lawyer withdraw if he's not being paid.

If you are working for someone and they stop paying you, do you need to go to court to tell you that you are free to stop working for them?

Because it can fuck with a hell of a lot more people than just the lawyer if trials get adjourned/moved.

If a lawyer asks to get off the record months before a trial because of unpaid fees?  Of course it'll be granted.  But the morning of trial, with the court and the witnesses ready to go?  That's a different matter.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 07:29:09 PM

Because it can fuck with a hell of a lot more people than just the lawyer if trials get adjourned/moved.

If a lawyer asks to get off the record months before a trial because of unpaid fees?  Of course it'll be granted.  But the morning of trial, with the court and the witnesses ready to go?  That's a different matter.

Yeah, but that's the nature of freedom. Sometimes not forcing people can cause others headaches. It can cause all kinds of awful stuff, actually. Just because it will doesn't make it okay to make them stay on against their will.

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 23, 2009, 07:41:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 07:29:09 PM

Yeah, but that's the nature of freedom. Sometimes not forcing people can cause others headaches. It can cause all kinds of awful stuff, actually. Just because it will doesn't make it okay to make them stay on against their will.

No one forces a lawyer to start working for anybody in the first place.

But once you do go "on the record" you do owe a professional responsibility to the court that you can't just walk away from at a moment's notice.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 07:45:43 PM

But once you do go "on the record" you do owe a professional responsibility to the court that you can't just walk away from at a moment's notice.

Oh yes, I totally understand that. Any lawyer that dicks over their client like that deserves to burn in hell. I just think it's a greater evil to force them to work against their will.

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 23, 2009, 08:02:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 07:45:43 PM

Oh yes, I totally understand that. Any lawyer that dicks over their client like that deserves to burn in hell. I just think it's a greater evil to force them to work against their will.

Think of it as similar to the requirement to give 2 weeks notice to your employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2009, 08:06:14 PM

Think of it as similar to the requirement to give 2 weeks notice to your employer.

There's no requirement to do that, but I get where you're coming from, yes.

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 23, 2009, 08:02:09 PM
I have a hard time feeling bad for the lawyers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 23, 2009, 05:52:03 PM
That is how it works in Canada for both lawyers and Doctors.  FYI most bar associations have non lawyers sitting on their boards and tribunals to represent the interests of the public.
How are those non lawyers selected?

DontSayBanana

By forcing the attorneys to explain themselves, one is assuming that they're acting unethically and forcing them to prove otherwise; one can't manage a professional association where it's assumed that members aren't playing by the rules.

The biggest problem I have with this, though, is giving judges the authority to review.  If an attorney's going to walk away from a case, it's either because one has stumbled upon a conflict of interests or because something is so damning it would hinder one's ability to effectively represent one's client.  Either way, it's not something a judge should have anything to do with, as either could irrevocably skew a case.  If anyone is going to be given oversight authority; it should be the bar association; they do well enough overseeing attorney trust funds.
Experience bij!