Main Menu

derspiess's Attention-Whoring Thread

Started by derspiess, November 23, 2009, 01:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Today was Tommy's first day at pre-school  :cry:

He got to bed late last night (despite my best efforts), so he was cranky this morning to start out with.  Then he didn't like how I dressed him, so I had to dig out one of his Star Wars shirts from last night's laundry.  Then he decided he didn't want to go at all, so I had to coax him outside to get in the car.  And then of course he trips & skins his knee when he gets to the driveway.  I put some neosporin on his knee which only made it "hurt worser".

And then, the moment of truth-- we get to his class and he permanently attaches himself to my leg.  I couldn't just tear him away and run out, so there was an awkward couple of minutes before his teacher found a sure-fire way to settle him down and make him want to stay: a computer game.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Was it EU3? Did the map "suck worser"?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on July 11, 2011, 11:39:22 AM
Was it EU3? Did the map "suck worser"?

No, it was some game where you drive along the road with a dog in the car with you.  Apparently the dog helps you solve puzzles.  Map did suck, though.

If only they had Lego Star Wars*, he'd probably think he was at home.

*or Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Batman, or Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Little spiess is growing up :cry:

As for school computer games, when i was in school we had a crap game called "Cross COuntry Canada". Basically you were a truck drivers getting stuff from cities (lobster in Halifax) and driving it somewhere else.  Not sure how i discovered it, but if you asked twice to run over a hitch hiker you actually could. Ah, memories.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Quote from: PDH on June 12, 2012, 04:38:58 PM
With his trusted Askari?

:D  He's a good gunner and follows orders obediently.

CountDeMoney

I thought that was his hulking Zulu bodyguard, Mthonga.

KRonn

Hehe, great pic of him in that airplane!

Glad to see you got him to school ok, with a bit of coaxing by the teacher of course. Guess he takes after his dad with the computer games.    :)

derspiess

Quote from: KRonn on June 15, 2012, 12:46:04 PM
Hehe, great pic of him in that airplane!

Glad to see you got him to school ok, with a bit of coaxing by the teacher of course. Guess he takes after his dad with the computer games.    :)

:)

What I didn't realize is that joystick actually moves the plane up & down.  So he was pulling up & down on it like it wasn't going to have an effect, and then when the ride started the plane looked like it was out of control!

Just gotta watch out for those Australian anti-aircraft gunners  :glare:

derspiess

I took the kids up to Ed Anger's back yard (USAF museum at Wright-Patterson AFB).  Due to multiple delays, we got there late in the afternoon, just before 4:00pm, which meant we only had an hour to try to see as much as we could.  As luck would have it, 1 hour happens to be the precise attention span they have for things like that.  Funny though that Tommy's legs stopped "hurting" and he no longer wanted to go home once we got to the gift shop.

Was able to get one picture before my phone battery died.  Of course Tommy was over-doing his fake smile and Lola was distracted by him:

Barrister

Yeah, good luck trying to take pictures of kids.  Timmy immediately gives a huge fake grin, and walks right up to 6" away from the camera, if he realizes you're taking a picture.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

At least you got a good pic of the Peashooter
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM