Main Menu

46 killed in Phillipines Massacre

Started by jimmy olsen, November 24, 2009, 05:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Fucked up.  :mad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8375588.stm
QuoteDeath toll rises to 46 for Philippines killings

At least 46 people are now known to have died in the southern Philippines, after more bodies were discovered in a shallow grave.

Philippine President Gloria Arroyo has declared a state of emergency in two provinces on the island of Mindanao to allow police to search for the gunmen.

The victims were killed as they were travelling to file nomination papers for elections next May.

The attack is one of worst incidents of pre-poll violence in the Philippines.

There are conflicting reports about whether anyone survived.

More bodies

On Monday it was announced that 21 bodies had been found. This number has now increased to 46 and the death toll from the incident may rise still further.

"It's a big area where these bodies were found. They are finding a couple of bodies every couple of hours or so," Interior Secretary Ronaldo Puno was quoted as saying by AFP news agency.

He described a farming area covered in hastily dug graves, several kilometres away from where the killing is thought to have occurred. A bulldozer was parked nearby.

All the victims were civilians, including the wife of the vice mayor of Buluan, a town in Maguindanao province, who had intended to file nomination papers for her husband to run for governor in local elections next year.

An investigator at the scene told reporters all victims had been shot at close range, some in their vehicles and others apparently while fleeing.

Warlord culture

"It is an undying fact that Philippines is still ruled by clans and warlords - and these people are monsters created by President Gloria Arroyo and past governments," said Marites Vitug, editor of Newsbreak and author of several books on Mindanao, corruption and politics.

Central government in the Philippines is habitually weak and buys local support by supporting the local patriarchs.

Complicating the mix in Mindanao is the ongoing series of Muslim and communist insurgencies which have long been used by the authorities to justify new sources of funding for local favourites.

In this case some of the suspected killers were "Civilian Volunteers", groups of young men organised to support the local police in "anti-insurgency" work.

"The volunteers are supposed to support the police but in the process they are used by warlords. Budgets are limited for the police so it is common knowledge that powerful local families support them financially," said Ms Vitug.

The dominance of patronage politics in the Philippines, she explained, has allowed political families to thrive.

The BBC's Vaudine England says both clans in this case are allied to Mrs Arroyo, limiting analysts' expectations of any effective response from the central government.

The country is to hold nationwide elections in May 2010. Registration for local and national races began earlier this month.

QuoteVaudine England, BBC Asia analyst
The brutality of the killings in Maguindanao has highlighted the domination of Philippines politics by guns, warlords and lawlessness.

It has also changed the nature of "rido", the local word for clan wars and vendetta. Rido has long focused on election disputes or land conflicts and has involved killing, but usually of one person at a time and avoiding the killing of women or non-relatives. This incident targeted women and journalists who were not members of either powerful family involved.

Complicating the mix in Mindanao is the ongoing Muslim and communist insurgencies which have long been used by the authorities to justify new sources of funding for local favourites.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Wow, what a horror. And I didn't really realize that the Philippine system of govt was so heavily ruled by a warlord culture. Somewhat like Afghanistan maybe, though not nearly as bad?

Jaron

Are they positive these people weren't just going to some holiday sale?

Filipinos are quite brutal in that regard.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Richard Hakluyt

I expect they were MILFs, they are a big problem in that part of the world.

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 24, 2009, 12:29:53 PM
I expect they were MILFs, they are a big problem in that part of the world.

Pun intended?  :lol:

Ed Anger

:)

larch's pic, not the massacre. You idiots.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

I read "46 killed in Palestine Massacre".

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 24, 2009, 02:53:57 PM

It's an excellent photo isn't it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2009, 04:21:51 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 24, 2009, 02:53:57 PM

It's an excellent photo isn't it?

Totally awesome.

I love going to the park.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

It might be suicide. LET THEM INVESTIGATE!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned