News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

languish meet in Italy : 7 - 11 May

Started by Richard Hakluyt, March 30, 2009, 02:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on May 03, 2009, 04:02:53 AM
I expect someone to kick someone else in the groin in my name, otherwise I shant be happy.

But Marti isn't coming... :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Pedrito

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 02, 2009, 05:43:18 PM
I still have your number from the Paris trip btw, unless it has changed...........

We should get into Calalzo at 18.25, but it's no trouble to get a cab..........I still think it makes sense for me and ank to link up with Pedrito in Treviso...........but he won't talk to me about it.........maybe because his car is a Fiat 600  :P

http://www.muzeum-motoryzacji.com.pl/photo/FIAT%20600.jpg
...speaks the guy with the steam phone  :P

I should be able to be in Treviso around 4.00 p.m. , so I can pick you up and reach Calalzo around 5.00 p.m., wait for Tamas and then from Calalzo to Cortina it's about 40 minutes.

Bring with you your motion sickness meds  :menace:

For BB and lady, that will be waiting for us: Bar Lovat, beside the Ciasa de Ra Regoles, just down 50 meters from the church, is a nice place to have an aperitif, they make excellent sweet pastries :mmm: ;
otherwise, another nice place is Pane Vino e San Daniele (Bread, Wine and Prosciutto: the name says it all  ;) ): going right along the Corso from the hotel, it's about 150 meters after the church, a bit hidden down a stair on the left. After a quick search, it's at 137, Corso Italia. I discover from the site that they make kitchen service too  :huh:, I've always seen only big wooden plates filled with delicious prosciutto...

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Barrister

Excellent.  So sounds like we should aim for more like 6ish, and we'll look for each other in either of those spots.

Thankfully this time we've almost all met before so there's no need to worry about figuring out who we are...

Richard Hakluyt

The plan comes together  :cool:

@Pedrito, where and when would be a sensible place to meet? Our plane is scheduled to land at the airport at 14.05, so we'll be clear at about 14.30and can get a cab to a convenient meeting place. Glancing at the map Treviso and Mestre both look fairly convenient, but I have no idea of local traffic conditions (except they are generally very busy)..........

Tamas is driving over, so rather than waiting for him at Calalzo we may as well meet up in Cortina itself...........though I guess he'll need me to get access to the hotel room.

Pedrito

Rich, I can't find direct bus connections to Treviso, so you'd be forced to take a taxi, highly unadvisable considering the costs.
But there's a bus service from the airport to Mestre train station, http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35, the bus leaves about every half hour (check the timetable, I think 14.24 or 14.51 could be good for you). The price is € 3 per person including luggage, and you should arrive in Mestre in about 20 minutes.
In the morning I'll be at a business meeting in Bologna, leaving around 14.00 I'll be able to reach Mestre around 15.45, 16.00, so you shouldn't have too many rounds while waiting in the shady station bar  :P
I don't know the station and its surroundings, so can't point a nicer bar than the station one.
I'll send you a pic of yours truly in the PM so you can recognize me

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Richard Hakluyt

Shady railway station bars are one of the natural habitats of English dilettantes and American sp..... ..... naval personnel  ;)

Yes, the proposed arrangement works for us, thanks for taking the trouble to drive into Mestre to pick us up; that can't be a favoured route. As long as the station isn't vast it shouldn't be too difficult to identify each other, I'll pm you Ank's phone number.......it may work........I'm not sure.

Have you seen a photo of either/both myself and Ank? I think most of them have probably been posted in the back room, not sure if any have here.

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 04, 2009, 05:27:50 AM
Shady railway station bars are one of the natural habitats of English dilettantes and American sp..... ..... naval personnel  ;)

What about bars for inmigrant communities? Those work well too.  :lol:

I'll be in Venice during that weekend on a family trip, so if you're finally going to be in the Serenissima at some point maybe, only maybe, I'll be able to sneak out for a beer or five.  ;)

Richard Hakluyt

We should be in Venice sometime on the sunday, so if you wanted to meet up then sunday evening is the (only) time to do it  :cool:

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 04, 2009, 06:56:35 AM
We should be in Venice sometime on the sunday, so if you wanted to meet up then sunday evening is the (only) time to do it  :cool:

Coolness.  :cool: Can you provide me with a phone number? I had the ones from Marty, Brazen and Syt from Brussels, but none of them will be present. In case I can get away, I'll give you a call.

Barrister

Last day in the office.  Checkd the clock a dozen times, and it's not even 9am...   :(

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Tamas on May 02, 2009, 05:23:43 PM
Oh, and RH, whichever of us reaches Calalzo first should give the other a call, I might be able to pick you up along the way there.

LOL, my UK phone will not work on the continent.  I have a German phone although I have no idea what the number
is without my cheat sheet.  I'll try to get online tomorrow and leave it with whoever needs it.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Barrister

Quick trial that turned into a guilty plea.

Now I'm printing out maps of our hotels in Italy.

AnchorClanker

This should be good, BB.  I'm looking forward to this trip, and I can try out my terrible, rusty Italian as well.  :lmfao:
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Pedrito

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 04, 2009, 02:26:54 PM
This should be good, BB.  I'm looking forward to this trip, and I can try out my terrible, rusty Italian as well.  :lmfao:

I'll reply with my horrible english, both spoken and written!

L.
b / h = h / b+h

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Pedrito on May 04, 2009, 02:28:28 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 04, 2009, 02:26:54 PM

I'll reply with my horrible english, both spoken and written!

L.

Vorrei imparare il lingua Italiana!   :lol: