And we're back!

Main Menu

languish meet in Italy : 7 - 11 May

Started by Richard Hakluyt, March 30, 2009, 02:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Hmmm......... :shifty:

Sounds to me like you are going to overtake our train  :D

In which case, how about us waiting in some sensible place and meeting you for the drive to Cortina? That would be more convenient for both parties, the only risk being that you get delayed at work and we get drunk in a sleazy bar in Mestre or Treviso  :P

Richard Hakluyt

Ok, I've booked a hotel in Venice for sunday night, which gives the break a far better structure. Don't know why I didn't do this in the first place  :huh:

This hotel is at the head of the Grand Canal about 200m from S. Lucia station, a very convenient location and therefore rather expensive, but it buys me and Ank an afternoon, evening and morning in Venice............so worth it IMO. The hotel was also recommended by 75 out of the 75 guests who wrote a review of it. I expect that all these "guests" are relatives of the hotel proprietor though  :P

Barrister

Okay, so we booked a "room" at a campsite that is supposedly a 10 minute boat ride from Venice, but we'll work it all out in Cortina how we do the Sunday.  I agree I think it makes a lot more sense.

So how do we go about meeting up in Cortina on Thursday?  Perhaps leave a message at the front desk since we're all staying in the same place?  But whose names are the rooms in?

Pedrito, can you suggest a good lounge/restaurant that you could easily sit and waste a couple of hours waiting for the rest of the party?

And thankfully this year we won't be subject to terrible Czech and Polish roads so we should be able to make it on time...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Pedrito

Quote from: Barrister on May 02, 2009, 02:57:56 PM
So how do we go about meeting up in Cortina on Thursday?  Perhaps leave a message at the front desk since we're all staying in the same place?  But whose names are the rooms in?

Pedrito, can you suggest a good lounge/restaurant that you could easily sit and waste a couple of hours waiting for the rest of the party?

Will you be logged here on monday/tuesday? On monday I'll make a couple of phone calls and will give you some names/addresses of restaurants.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Barrister

Quote from: Pedrito on May 02, 2009, 04:04:44 PM
Will you be logged here on monday/tuesday? On monday I'll make a couple of phone calls and will give you some names/addresses of restaurants.

L.

Only Monday is guaranteed.  Flight is noonish on Tuesday (which is probably early evening in Euroland), so I'll try to check the site Tuesday am, but no guarantees.

Richard Hakluyt

The hotel Montana has a bar, that we could hang around in, but it's probably a bit crap like many hotel bars  :P

The Hakluyt/Tamas/Ank room is booked under my name.

It may be useful to set a time, I think it's going to be quite late (8-ish?) before me and Ank turn up. Tamas could turn up at any time, it's a long way from Hungary and I don't think we can say which hour he will arrive.

Thinking about it, if we plan on having a really nice meal then friday evening is probably best, thursday evening is going to be a bit unpredictable.........might be best to get cheap food and drinks.....

@Barrister. Talking about bad roads, they are generally good in Austria and Italy, but it is still a crossing of the Alps, very beautiful scenery  :cool: but subject to unexpected delays.

Tamas

Well, for meeting up, I am planning to arrive VERY roughly around 6PM on Thursday. I have RH's phone number from two years ago, will ask for Pedrito's in PM. :)

And yes driving through the Alps is just awesome, scenery-wise. One of the disadvantages of Syt not coming is that I will have no one taking pictures from the car so I could show off the road I will be travelling. :(

Tamas

Oh, and RH, whichever of us reaches Calalzo first should give the other a call, I might be able to pick you up along the way there.

Richard Hakluyt

My phone is MIA, I use it so rarely that I have forgotten where it is  :(

Also, it was always a very primitive device, steam-powered and only working in the confines of the British Empire c. 1906.

I do have Ank's number, but i don't think that works abroad either  :D

I like the Timmelsjoch pass btw, much quieter than the Brenner, probably a lot slower.

Tamas

Dammit people, enter the 21st century and have some phones. :P

Richard Hakluyt

I still have your number from the Paris trip btw, unless it has changed...........

We should get into Calalzo at 18.25, but it's no trouble to get a cab..........I still think it makes sense for me and ank to link up with Pedrito in Treviso...........but he won't talk to me about it.........maybe because his car is a Fiat 600  :P

http://www.muzeum-motoryzacji.com.pl/photo/FIAT%20600.jpg

Tamas

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on May 02, 2009, 05:36:44 PM
Dammit people, enter the 21st century and have some phones. :P

Tracy just got a new phone (a nice Blackberry Pearl).

I wonder if Northwestel has any roaming deal in Italy...  ;)

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 02, 2009, 05:15:05 PM
The hotel Montana has a bar, that we could hang around in, but it's probably a bit crap like many hotel bars  :P

The Hakluyt/Tamas/Ank room is booked under my name.

It may be useful to set a time, I think it's going to be quite late (8-ish?) before me and Ank turn up. Tamas could turn up at any time, it's a long way from Hungary and I don't think we can say which hour he will arrive.

Thinking about it, if we plan on having a really nice meal then friday evening is probably best, thursday evening is going to be a bit unpredictable.........might be best to get cheap food and drinks.....

@Barrister. Talking about bad roads, they are generally good in Austria and Italy, but it is still a crossing of the Alps, very beautiful scenery  :cool: but subject to unexpected delays.

Well I think we plan to meet starting at 8, but I'll be prepared to sit until 10ish even.  If Pedrito could suggest a place that would be ideal (and not the hotel bar), but otherwise the first to arrive should leave a note at the front desk for the others.

:cheers:

katmai

I expect someone to kick someone else in the groin in my name, otherwise I shant be happy.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son