News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

languish meet in Italy : 7 - 11 May

Started by Richard Hakluyt, March 30, 2009, 02:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Well we're all either driving, or are flying in to Venice, so if we decide to we can certainly move the meet.  Why not stay somewhere in or near Venice?  I know RH wanted a somewhat quieter trip, but I promise we won't force you to see 5 museums per day or anything...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

I just checked my hotel reservation and would have to pay 50% anyway if I cancelled now  :huh:

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2009, 10:59:43 AM
Well we're all either driving, or are flying in to Venice, so if we decide to we can certainly move the meet.  Why not stay somewhere in or near Venice?  I know RH wanted a somewhat quieter trip, but I promise we won't force you to see 5 museums per day or anything...

I would still prefer a smaller town. I bet we could still arrange plenty to see for those 2 or 3 days, especially with cars, while still having some quality drinking and eating time as well.
There is just no way I'll drive in Venice, so if we move there, I need to switch to flying machines.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 27, 2009, 11:07:59 AM
I just checked my hotel reservation and would have to pay 50% anyway if I cancelled now  :huh:

Just WTF. :huh:

Barrister

Ah.  Well that answers that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on April 27, 2009, 11:08:59 AM

Just WTF. :huh:

It seems 20 days notice is required to get all of it back.

Though, I'm still keen on staying there anyway, it's a nice base and we can take good daytrips. Pity about the Italian WW1 fortifications though  :(, that will have to wait for another time.

Pedrito

Well, let's say that Cortina is a forced choice indeed: 50%!  :huh:

Around the town there're only other ski resorts and small rural towns, so we will have to drive at least one hour to reach some interesting place.

Trento is a nice city, but it's at least 2 1/2 hours from Cortina. There's the nice Buonconsiglio Castle, and an interesting art museum in nearby Rovereto.

I know nothing about Belluno, the city nearest to Cortina.

I'll check other possible trips this evening and keep you posted.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Richard Hakluyt

Thinking about it, it is only the one day that needs to be accounted for.

We gather on thursday evening, there will be too much drinking (always is on the first night of a Languish meet) so we will want a slowish day on the Friday. Cortina and it's environs will be fine for that.

Saturday was going to be deathmarch day, so we need an interesting trip on that day. There are places such as Feltre, Possaggno and Asolo that look very interesting. It would be about a 2-hour drive to that district which argues for a civilised and sensible Friday night with an earlyish start  :cool:

On the sunday the Barristers are planning to relocate to Venice anyway. If we are tired of Cortina they could make an early start and the rest of us could come along for the day, or not, if we wanted. Alternatively, if we are not tired of Cortina then there is no problem anyway  :D

Tamas

My company trip forces me to leave on Sunday morning btw, as it turns out I fly away from Budapest on Monday. :(

Richard Hakluyt

I have had further thoughts, since Tamas has to leave on sunday morning; why don't we all make an early start that morning and the barristers + me and ank can go to Venice. I can book a hotel for that night for me and ank as the extra cost for one night is perfectly acceptable.

Yes, I think that may be a good compromise. Who knows, I might even be able to get my money back for the 4th night we were to saty in Cortina anyway. It also gives us a leisurely start on the monday.

Pedrito

I concur with RH about having a nice quiet friday strolling around Cortina and adjacent areas. WWI fortifications are not to be definitely ruled out, maybe some parts of them can be accessible despite the snow: I'll ask the tourist office.

For Saturday, I won't be with you  :( but I suggest going either to Feltre (don't know the place, but it seems a nice small city) or to Asolo, a beautiful town with interesting remains of a medieval castle built, IIRC from my uni days, upon an older roman settlement.

About thursday evening: probably I'll arrive to Cortina in the late afternoon, I'm looking for a good restaurant that serves local food for dinner. Some place not far from the hotel should be advisable, to avoid eventual DUI charges  :P  Be warned, though, that restaurants in Cortina are pretty expensive, so you won't be surprised if the bill will be around 50 euros per person, excluding wine  <_<

L.
b / h = h / b+h

katmai

Pfft those temps for Cortina are shorts and chanklas weather
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

Ank and I arrive at Venice (Marco Polo) at around 2pm, the plan is to cab it to Treviso and catch the 16.14 to Calalzo which arrives there at 18.25. If there is a convenient bus (likely) we will catch it, otherwise another cab to Cortina. So, the reason I mention all this is that we are not going to be ready for dinner until sometime between 20.00 and 21.00.

Pedrito

WTF two hours Treviso-Calalzo! Italian trains  <_<

Usually the bus departures from Calalzo are linked to train arrivals, after 18.25 though the next train would be at 19.00, arriving at 19.58

Otherwise, if I can leave the workplace soon enough, I can come and catch you at Calalzo station (i'll be the guy with the FU JARON sign, obviously   :D ) and bring you to Cortina by car.
Now that I think of this, 2 PM in Tessera is too early for me, but maybe I can catch up with you even in Treviso.

L.
b / h = h / b+h