News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

languish meet in Italy : 7 - 11 May

Started by Richard Hakluyt, March 30, 2009, 02:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Holy crap this is coming up fast. :o

Pedrito - any ideas on staying near Venice?

And if Cortina is a little too snowy it seems like there'll be plenty of spots we can visit within an hours drive...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, if the weather disappoints we'll just have to get into the cars and visit some cultural centres  :cool:

Barrister, I've been to Venice three times. The first two times I stayed out of town, the third time I stayed in Venice itself. That third trip was incomparably superior to the others. It is more expensive of course, but given the amount of money a trip like this already costs it is well woth it IMO.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Pedrito on April 07, 2009, 05:54:52 PM
Picture of a girl drinking from a grolla:

L.
Italians never heard of a straw?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2009, 10:34:31 AMPedrito - any ideas on staying near Venice?

For staying, Mestre > Venice.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Richard Hakluyt

I stayed at this place last time I was in Venice :

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187870-d555225-Reviews-Ai_Mori_d_Oriente_Hotel-Venice_Veneto.html

The best thing about it was the location, in Venice but away from the tourist maelstrom. Service and room were both perfectly fine, it is a bit pricey though  :huh:

Barrister

RH (and Pedrito) - can you think of anything we could bring from Yukon for your kids when you return?

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 16, 2009, 10:41:31 AM
Yeah, if the weather disappoints we'll just have to get into the cars and visit some cultural centres  :cool:

Barrister, I've been to Venice three times. The first two times I stayed out of town, the third time I stayed in Venice itself. That third trip was incomparably superior to the others. It is more expensive of course, but given the amount of money a trip like this already costs it is well woth it IMO.

A trip like this is already a huge strain on our finances. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2009, 12:51:58 PM
RH (and Pedrito) - can you think of anything we could bring from Yukon for your kids when you return?

You might have to give examples of stuff you can get in the Yukon that is not generally available.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2009, 02:04:23 PM

You might have to give examples of stuff you can get in the Yukon that is not generally available.

Two categories really:

-Nature stuff.  Feathers, fur, claws, gold nuggets/dust.  We gave our nephew some rabbit pelts and a bear claw necklace for Christmas and he loved them.

-the same general stuff you can get anywhere else, but says "Yukon".  Shirts, hats, socks, toques, whatever.

-theres also local/native art or clothing, but I'm not as sure a kid would find that interesting.

For kicks I was also going to bring a bottle of Yukon Jack liquor, or maybe Klondike Vodka, for the adults while in Cortina...

Richard Hakluyt

Just checked with Sam and he's pretty keen on the bearclaw necklace (you do mean the +8 agility one?), as for Ted a t-shirt would be the best I think, something with a nice Yukon theme (size 8 or maybe 9 years, big lad for his age).

Thanks for the offer BB, appreciate it  :cool:

katmai

WTF Beeb didn't bring me anything we he came to visit <_<
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: katmai on April 16, 2009, 03:04:39 PM
WTF Beeb didn't bring me anything we he came to visit <_<

When you come to Vienna I'll buy you a beer. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2009, 01:28:30 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 16, 2009, 10:41:31 AM

A trip like this is already a huge strain on our finances.

Yeah, this sort of thing is expensive, OTOH the experiences are priceless  :cool:

Admiral Yi

Regulation curling stone, just toss it in the carry on. 

They can probably get their own brooms.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 16, 2009, 02:53:13 PM
Just checked with Sam and he's pretty keen on the bearclaw necklace (you do mean the +8 agility one?), as for Ted a t-shirt would be the best I think, something with a nice Yukon theme (size 8 or maybe 9 years, big lad for his age).

Thanks for the offer BB, appreciate it  :cool:

No prob - we can definitely come up with something like that.  :canuck:

If I'm going to steal their dad I can try to make up for it...