News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In these heady times...

Started by garbon, November 22, 2009, 02:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

If we think we see it when it is happening, likely it is not as important as we think.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Strix

9/11 stands out the most. It will be noted in a similar way as "Remember the Maine". A major incident sparking off a war that no one will remember or discuss once it's finished.

Obama getting elected will be worth a paragraph in school text books. Nothing he has done, to date, is noteworthy. I doubt anyone will remember anything about healthcare. It's a hot topic but not historic unless it crushes what's left of the economy with taxes to pay for it.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Strix on November 22, 2009, 09:46:58 AM
Obama getting elected will be worth a paragraph in school text books. Nothing he has done, to date, is noteworthy. I doubt anyone will remember anything about healthcare. It's a hot topic but not historic unless it crushes what's left of the economy with taxes to pay for it.

Unless race somehow becomes unimportant in the future while Obama gets no credit for it, he will be fussed over just for being the first black President.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

"The Obama Years. 4 Years of Hope without Change between 8 years of Bush and 8 Years of Palin."
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Palin won't get past the primaries, as her opponents will be sure to remind the voters that she is a quitter.

stjaba

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 22, 2009, 09:52:27 AM

Unless race somehow becomes unimportant in the future while Obama gets no credit for it, he will be fussed over just for being the first black President.

Yeah, but that will diminish with time. For example, no one really makes a big deal of the fact that JFK was the first Catholic president, but it was huge at the time.

dps

I have to admit, I have a bit of fear that history will view Obama about the same as it views Herbert Hoover.

garbon

Quote from: dps on November 22, 2009, 12:55:45 PM
I have to admit, I have a bit of fear that history will view Obama about the same as it views Herbert Hoover.

An unimpressive president who rubbed elbows with my great, great grandfather?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fate

Quote from: dps on November 22, 2009, 12:55:45 PM

No, Bush fills Hoover's skin quite well.  :lol:

Obama will be remembered like Reagan. Hated by the extreme opposition, beloved by the Mushy Middle.

Fate

Quote from: stjaba on November 22, 2009, 12:08:21 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 22, 2009, 09:52:27 AM

Yeah, but that will diminish with time. For example, no one really makes a big deal of the fact that JFK was the first Catholic president, but it was huge at the time.

We didn't enslave Catholics for 258 years.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on November 22, 2009, 05:33:32 PM
That line would have the Jon Stewart audience peeing their pants and it makes no sense.

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 22, 2009, 05:41:07 PM
That line would have the Jon Stewart audience peeing their pants and it makes no sense.

The parallel between Bush and Hoover is being made in terms of popularity, not necessarily policy. What doesn't make sense?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on November 22, 2009, 05:44:58 PM
The parallel between Bush and Hoover is being made in terms of popularity, not necessarily policy. What doesn't make sense?
My bad.  I thought you were responding about history's view of the two.

Alatriste

Two comments, for starters

1. We need a definition of 'recent' for this thread to make sense

2. There is 'fast history' happening in days or weeks at the most (Fall of the Wall, First Man on Space, 9/11) and there is 'slow history' (Demographic Revolution, Civil Rights, Internet, European Union...) and things somehow in between, like the 'Great 2007 Recession'.

If we accept recent as a decade, then IMHO Obama's election and 9/11 compete for the most important thing in fast history, and the economic recession competes with China's aspirations to great power status in slow history. Perhaps (probably, indeed) some day 500 years in the future when they think about these years they will focus on global warming, nuclear weapons proliferation, the Treaty of Lisbon, the LHC, ITER or advances in genetics and cloning...

Some things will look far larger, others will matter only to historians. We just can't know which.   

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 22, 2009, 05:41:07 PM

<_<

I like Jon Stewart.