News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The GRE

Started by garbon, November 21, 2009, 07:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Apropos of nothing, I'm taking the GRE next month.  I'm not pleased to be taking the "adult" version of the SATs.  <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

I'm not quite sure how to answer that question.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Can't answer a simple question like that and plan to take GRE? :o
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Fate

If it's anything like the MCAT, getting a high score is more about gaming the test than knowing the material.

garbon

Quote from: Fate on November 21, 2009, 07:30:21 PM
If it's anything like the MCAT, getting a high score is more about gaming the test than knowing the material.

What I hate are the freakin' analogies.

Dolphin:Mammal::

a) Larvae:Insect
b) Penguin:Bird
c) Computer:Machine
d) incorrect choice
e) incorrect choice

While both b and c satisfy the "type of" relationship, the best answer is b because penguins and dolphins are both types of animals that live in water...:rolleyes:

PDH

I would have answered "d"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

d was sonnet:stanza

Hmm...in an example of how to do an analogy when you don't really know one of the words, the word is coquette. <_<

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on November 21, 2009, 07:42:18 PM
I would have answered "d"
E looks like a much better answer.

PDH

:(  I liked D better when it was 'incorrect choice'
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Richard Hakluyt

I always score amazingly well on tests like that  :cool:

Which leads me to believe that they are complete bollocks  :lol:

dps

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 21, 2009, 07:54:50 PM

Well, if there are 5 possible answers to each question, you should get at least 20% of them right just by pure chance.

DGuller

Quote from: Fate on November 21, 2009, 07:30:21 PM
You can say the same thing about any high stakes test, unfortunately.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on November 21, 2009, 09:02:14 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 21, 2009, 07:54:50 PM

Well, if there are 5 possible answers to each question, you should get at least 20% of them right just by pure chance.
Doesn't help much if there is a guessing penalty.  Even without guessing penalty, 20% is probably not going to be enough to pass.

Admiral Yi

I'm going to assume when Tricky says amazingly he means a few points higher than 20%.