How soon is too soon when it comes to replacing a laptop

Started by Martinus, November 21, 2009, 05:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I have had my MacBook for 18 months now or so, and I'm thinking about getting a new one - I have the old type with the multi-part casing which begins to show age, and obviously new MacBooks are faster.

So is 18 months too soon?

Caliga

WIll you be getting a real PC?  If so it's never too soon.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HisMajestyBOB

If you got the extended warranty then you're covered for 3 years, so I wouldn't replace before then.
My Macbook Pro is 2.5 years old, and I see no reason to replace it anytime soon - it runs most modern games I play just fine.

But if you're filthy rich, go ahead and buy a new one. Just send me the old one, please.  :)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Martinus

I only had one year warranty. So they won't even replace the chip in the casing (the new MacBooks have a seamless casing made out of one piece of plastic so this won't be an issue).

Viking

When it starts making wheezing noises then you swap it out.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DisturbedPervert

Martinus

DisturbedPervert

My advice is to get a new PC so you can play Dragon Age with all the gay mods  :P

Martinus

I have a dekstop computer and don't need to replace it - I'm just thinking of a new laptop. :P

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 21, 2009, 05:53:20 AM
I have had my MacBook for 18 months now or so, and I'm thinking about getting a new one - I have the old type with the multi-part casing which begins to show age, and obviously new MacBooks are faster.

So is 18 months too soon?

Yes, 18 months it too soon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

18 months is  too soon IMO, especially for your secondary, non-gaming computer.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 21, 2009, 06:20:39 AM
My advice is to get a new PC so you can play Dragon Age with all the gay mods  :P

:blush: He wouldn't be the only one considering a short upgrade for that reason.  It looks like Dragon Age would run on my laptop, but laggy as all hell.

Anyway, Mart, "newer" and "faster" tend to go hand in hand with "more prone to mysterious problems."  If the only actual problem with your MacBook is a chip in the casing, I'd recommend waiting a bit longer before upgrading until you have a compelling reason to upgrade (e.g. "this program will not run on my computer at current spec").
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on November 21, 2009, 11:58:54 AM
18 months is  too soon IMO, especially for your secondary, non-gaming computer.
Not really.  Remember, this isn't an actual useful device for Martinus.  It is a fashion accessory.

Assuming that there is no financial pressure to go the other way (and why would there be?  The cost of living is low, and you're paid like you were a civilized man), do it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

It's rather fitting that the only computer chip driving Marti's desire for a new laptop is the one that slightly blemishes its looks.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on November 21, 2009, 01:17:00 PM
It's rather fitting that the only computer chip driving Marti's desire for a new laptop is the one that slightly blemishes its looks.  :P
He does his best to be a stereotypical gay, and in all the years I've known him I've never seen any evidence of integrity or character.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.