News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Power outage - need advice

Started by Pat, November 20, 2009, 10:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Haven't had any electricity for 30-40 minutes now. Says on http://edw.fortum.se/?area=180 it won't be solved until 06.30. That'll be almost 2,5h without power.

I have a fridge and refrigerator full with stuff that probably will go bad. What should I do?

I considered putting it in plastic bags and tie them with ropes from the window but apparently the temperature outside is 12 degrees celsius so I doubt it will do much good.

Any ideas?

PRC

Dig down several feet into the earth outside.  Line the hole with unmelted ice from the freezer and then put your food into it.  Cover the hole with a board and then dirt and moss.  Your food should keep for quite some time.

Sophie Scholl

Don't open the fridge at all, and the coolness that's in there should keep things cold enough to prevent spoiling for the 2 1/2 hours easy.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

DontSayBanana

Stupid question, but if you've got no power, what are you doing on the internet?  And yeah, don't open the fridge; it's sealed well enough to keep things cold for several hours without power. 
Experience bij!

Pat

Ok thanks! Reassuring to know it'll probably stay cool. I live on the 6th floor in an apartment building in central Stockholm so digging a hole wouldn't have been an option.

I'm on my laptop, don't have much battery left. On internet with mobile broadband (through the 3G net)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

I agree with Jaron. A great man turns calamity into a feast.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: miglia on November 20, 2009, 10:59:27 PM
I considered putting it in plastic bags and tie them with ropes from the window

:lol:

You should have done this and taken pictures

grumbler

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 21, 2009, 04:46:25 AM
Quote from: miglia on November 20, 2009, 10:59:27 PM
I considered putting it in plastic bags and tie them with ropes from the window

:lol:

You should have done this and taken pictures
And then taken pictures of the squirrels chewing through the plastic and raining food on the streets below.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Pat

Squirrels may be good climbers, but they're not that good.