Defragging - what are you using?

Started by Lucidor, November 20, 2009, 04:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucidor

I'm a bit tired of the Windows Vista defragger, I've never had the patience to run it, to be more precise. It's been taking lots and lots of time. I've also started to wonder what it's doing. I get no visual feedback, and I don't know if I can defrag the drive in a few sessions, instead of letting the computer run all through the night. it's sitting in the bedroom, so I don't want it to make all that noice.

So - anyone of you that can recomend a 3rd party solution? Preferably one that lets you change computers once in a while and lets you install it on a few different computers. It can be a defragger that's part of a software kit, just as long as it's affordable - no more than 30-40 dollars, tops.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lucidor

Thanks, Caliga. I'm giving it a go on my mom's computer. This thing needs defragging...

MadBurgerMaker

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Josquius

How much better are 3rd party programmes? I thought the windows one was all you ever needed
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

The Windows defragger is pretty barebones; IIRC, it just consolidates free space and defrags system files.  I'm giving the AusLogics program a trial run right now on my 250GB Toshiba drive with the "defrag + optimize" option.

UPDATE: worked pretty well.  The "optimize" process brought it up to about 30-40 minutes to complete, but a simple defrag should go in about 10-15 minutes for a SATA 250GB drive.
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: Lucidor on November 20, 2009, 04:28:57 PM
I'm a bit tired of the Windows Vista defragger, I've never had the patience to run it, to be more precise. It's been taking lots and lots of time. I've also started to wonder what it's doing. I get no visual feedback, and I don't know if I can defrag the drive in a few sessions, instead of letting the computer run all through the night. it's sitting in the bedroom, so I don't want it to make all that noice.

So - anyone of you that can recomend a 3rd party solution? Preferably one that lets you change computers once in a while and lets you install it on a few different computers. It can be a defragger that's part of a software kit, just as long as it's affordable - no more than 30-40 dollars, tops.
I have System Mechanic, I quite like it.  It think it's a bit above your price ranger, though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Lucidor

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 20, 2009, 06:04:48 PM
You can also give Auslogics Disk Defrag a shot. 

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag
Looks promising. A lot more intuitive than Windows, and comparably faster than Defraggler (but I'm talking two different computers)

Darth Wagtaros

Failing that go with Norton SystemWorks.  Best thing on the market if you are into self-pain.
PDH!

Lucidor

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 20, 2009, 06:04:48 PM
You can also give Auslogics Disk Defrag a shot. 

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag
It was good! Been using it for a few weeks now, and must say I liked the interface and everything better than Defraggler.

Caliga

Neat, I'll give that one a shot myself.

Caliga

Yes, Auslogics seems like a great defragger.  I love that it defrags all of my drives simultaneously.  :cool: