Law talkers, to me! Deceptive statements by officials

Started by grumbler, November 19, 2009, 09:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Rasputin

Who is John Galt?

Caliga

Quote from: Rasputin on November 19, 2009, 03:07:13 PM
I'm not sure that Kentucky counts.
The birthplace of Kentucky Fried Chicken could be placed in no other country.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on November 19, 2009, 12:28:30 PM
Quote from: stjaba on November 19, 2009, 11:47:58 AM
29 Am. Jur. 2d Evidence § 744, as well 741 and 726 are on point.

Money quote: "Whether deception renders a confession involuntary depends upon whether the deception interjected the type of extrinsic considerations that would overcome a defendant's will by distorting an otherwise rational
choice of whether to confess or remain silent." § 744
Thanks.  This is the kind of thing I was looking for.

The whole "this is a red herring" argument is a red herring, because my kids are asking about what the law is as they will encounter it outside of school (as I have said twice now).  That school officials, as school officlas, could have searched the cars on their own (because the cars are on school property and the school officials had a reason to think rules might be violated) isn't in question.  Whether it should be in question isn't something I am going to address with the students unless they ask me for my personal opinion.

Personally, I love the fact that you asked "I know it is irrelevant when talking about school officials but what the situation would be if these were cops doing that" and got two responses saying "it's irrelevant what the situation would be if these were cops doing that, since we are talking about school officials".

High quality legal advice from the stars of the Canadian bar.  :lol:

You wouldn't get this from affirmative action recruits, that's for sure.  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on November 19, 2009, 03:14:40 PM
[High quality legal advice from the stars of the Canadian bar.  :lol:

Once again I am happy to hear that the bar in Europe is so low as to allow lawyers who only answer the literal questions of their clients and not answer other issues that arise from the questions.  Good show!

By the way, you truly fail.  Where did he say cops?  It was all who are not school officials.....  I suppose in Poland everyone is a Cop.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2009, 03:09:47 PM

Indeed, although I don't think we should be proud of that. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2009, 03:51:23 PM
Indeed, although I don't think we should be proud of that. :x
Your hatred of capitalism, entrepreneurship, the elderly, Southern cuisine, and factory farming all ANGER ME GREATLY.  :mad:

stjaba

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2009, 03:51:16 PM
By the way, you truly fail.  Where did he say cops?  It was all who are not school officials.....  I suppose in Poland everyone is a Cop.

I agree the original post was ambigious, but I thought his reply to Strix made it clear what question he was asking:

QuoteThe question is not whether school officials have to follow the rules of law enforcement officers, but rather ""whether it would be legal for the school officials to lie about the drug dogs if they were not school officials."  Could a cop or SA lie to a suspect in order to get him to confess guilt, even before the cop/DA had probable cause?

BTW, I assumed SA meant state attorney.

Martinus

I guess CC is such a great lawyer because he doesn't read all the material before him before answering the question, but is able to provide a requested advice after just reading the first part of the instruction.  :lol:

Caliga

Nobody likes to wait for anything in that crazy topsy turvy world we now live in. :)

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2009, 03:09:47 PM
Quote from: Rasputin on November 19, 2009, 03:07:13 PM
I'm not sure that Kentucky counts.

The funny thing is that I read somewhere that recently a KFC's franchise opened in the UK that can't however use the KFC trademark (but is using some affiliated logo) because they did not meet the chain's "rigorous standards".  :D

Caliga

"Rigorous standards" with regard to cleanliness or something else?

The company does have extremely high standards with regard to cleanliness (typically they exceed local B of H standards), but of course one or two outliers get in the media--the Taco Bell with rats in it in NYC comes to mind--and therefore the public assumes all outlets are filthy.

Martinus

All this talk made me hungry for hot wings.  :Embarrass:

For the record, I do not hate fastfood food - I like an occasional KFC or McDonald's sandwich. I just know it's horribly unhealthy and fattening. So my approach to it is similar to other people's approach to drinking - I only eat at fast food restaurants when I'm with someone and never alone (usually late when going out to a club or coming home from a club or a cinema).  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2009, 03:53:04 PM
Your hatred of capitalism, entrepreneurship, the elderly, Southern cuisine, and factory farming all ANGER ME GREATLY.  :mad:

No it is just that KFC is fucking nasty. I tried to eat there the other day (haven't since I was a child and used to order chicken littles) and almost vomited. It was foul.