News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hard US state thing

Started by Josquius, November 18, 2009, 10:56:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2009, 01:13:02 PM
Same.  The only difficulty was trying to spell Massachusetts.

Actually, I had to remember Connecticut as I'd learned it wrong as a child (always forgot the 2nd c). Mass was easy as I lived there. :P

Hardest part for me was reading the instructions. I'd anticipated it would show me a state and then ask me to spell. So when it started I was like "Why isn't any state highlighted?!!!11" :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2009, 03:45:47 PM
There was Ghandi there (actually, there wasn't, but there was Gandhi).

The latter being the correct spelling. People who spell it Ghandi are the same monsters that spell Egyptian royalty as "Pharoah".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Easy_Math is easy: http://www.sporcle.com/games/carambajr/easy_math
Got all 50 with 24 seconds to spare.

Also, Massachuttes has a crappy name and I'll spell it however I damn please.

Missed 5 on European languages, but should have known 4 (Latin, Luxembourgish, Catalan, Galician)

Couldn't spell Equitorial Guinea on the Africa quiz, and missed Sao Tome, Cape Verde, Seychelles and comoros.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DGuller

Got the math with 55 seconds to spare.  :smarty:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Lettow77

Have to bow to you, Viking. I could only get 153, and felt pretty good about myself at the time for remembering things like 'Seychelles'. (Mad mike tried a coup there, so..)

I also was embarassed by my capacity to spell, and i've stared at old maps way too long; I typed rhodesia three times in frustration, before it clicked.

what I forgot was overwhelmingly the carribean; I literally forgot everything there that wasnt cuba, and then got pegged badly in the pacific as well.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Scipio

States done in two minutes, eight seconds.

Damn my slow typing.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Quote from: Viking on November 19, 2009, 01:40:44 AM
http://www.sporcle.com/games/world.php

183/191

166. Would have been 168, if I had guessed the spelling they were expecting for two of the countries.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2009, 11:53:02 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 18, 2009, 12:22:31 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2009, 11:54:49 AMCan you name the 20 most prevalent countries of origin of foreign-born residents of Turkey as of its most recent census?
:blink:

I just guessed all those and got most of them

I got 16 :)

18. Started with former parts of the Ottoman Empire, then went through the various EU countries, then other major immigrant destinations, then various neighbors and Turkic countries. Should've gotten 19, but I didn't think of Afghanistan. Would never have thought of Belarus.

HisMajestyBOB

This site is really addictive. Thanks to it I can now name St Kitts and Nevis, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua, Comoros, Seychelles, Sao Tome and Principe, and many other tiny shitty island countries.

So how did our resident Byzanteens do on the roman emperors quizzes?

Viking

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 20, 2009, 05:14:09 AM
This site is really addictive. Thanks to it I can now name St Kitts and Nevis, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua, Comoros, Seychelles, Sao Tome and Principe, and many other tiny shitty island countries.

So how did our resident Byzanteens do on the roman emperors quizzes?
half those countries outpopulate my (and legbiters) own!
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

I can now spell Philippines right :)
██████
██████
██████