AP POLL: How to pay for health overhaul? Tax the rich

Started by garbon, November 17, 2009, 04:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: Josephus on November 18, 2009, 12:27:59 PM
I think the poor should be given free vouchers at health clubs and organic food stores,

You don't need a voucher to live a healthy lifestyle.  :rolleyes:

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2009, 12:24:43 PM

The number one health problem of the poor in America is obesity. This isn't 18th century London, where poor Oliver would like a little more please.

That would actually be 19th century London, that Oliver lived in.

But yeah, you made a good point about obesity. I think the poor should be given free vouchers at health clubs and organic food stores, to curb their obesity, which is going to cost the health care system lots in the future.

You don't need a gym membership and a big budget for groceries to be healthy. There are lots of cheap healthy foods, and you can have a great exercise routine just with running, push ups, and other free exercises.

I'm all for access to health care and health education for poor people, but if someone is obese, it isn't because they can't afford to go to the gym. If you can afford a big mac and a coke, you can afford a lot of bananas and tap water.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: citizen k on November 18, 2009, 12:34:04 PM
I think the poor should be given free vouchers at health clubs and organic food stores,

No kidding.

This is a funny comment, because it illustrates the basic divide on the question of the role of government.

The idea that for every problem, there is some government solution that involves taking money from one group and shoveling it to another. Poor people are too fat? Send them vouchers to health clubs!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2009, 12:26:19 PM
Of course that would be silly, good thing it isn't done.

You can certainly send them more money though, in the rather bizarre hope that they will spend it, which will somehow increase tax revenues via sales tax!

That is an order of magnitude more ridiculously than Reagans trickle down economics.
Who said anything about increasing revenues via sales tax?  :huh:

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on November 18, 2009, 12:35:42 PM
You don't need a gym membership and a big budget for groceries to be healthy. There are lots of cheap healthy foods, and you can have a great exercise routine just with running, push ups, and other free exercises.
I'm not so sure.  I spend more per week on fruit and veg than I do on anything else.  I think it's extortionate.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on November 18, 2009, 12:35:42 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2009, 12:24:43 PM

The number one health problem of the poor in America is obesity. This isn't 18th century London, where poor Oliver would like a little more please.

That would actually be 19th century London, that Oliver lived in.

But yeah, you made a good point about obesity. I think the poor should be given free vouchers at health clubs and organic food stores, to curb their obesity, which is going to cost the health care system lots in the future.

I'm all for access to health care and health education for poor people, but if someone is obese, it isn't because they can't afford to go to the gym. If you can afford a big mac and a coke, you can afford a lot of bananas and tap water.
Big Mac is not the cheapest food there is.  When my family was really poor, McDonalds food was too expensive for us.  The cheapest food you can find is packaged preservatives with an artificial taste of food added, like Ramen noodles.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2009, 12:58:00 PM

Big Mac is not the cheapest food there is.  When my family was really poor, McDonalds food was too expensive for us.  The cheapest food you can find is packaged conservatives with an artificial taste of food added, like Ramen noodles.

Okay, but ramen noodles aren't responsible for the obesity epidemic.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

frunk

I think that's the point.  These people are able to afford McDonalds and so could also afford other decent, healthier meals.

Berkut

Big Mac is not the cheapest food there is.  When my family was really poor, McDonalds food was too expensive for us.  The cheapest food you can find is packaged conservatives with an artificial taste of food added, like Ramen noodles.

My family lived on stuff just like that. And you can get mighty fat off of it too.

But even when we were well below the poverty line poor, we were never in danger of not having enough food. Food stamps, school lunches, etc., etc. We didn't eat steak every night by any means, but we never went hungry.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on November 18, 2009, 01:00:33 PM

Okay, but ramen noodles aren't responsible for the obesity epidemic.

Oh yes they are. Those fucking things are terrible for you.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2009, 01:01:12 PM

My family lived on stuff just like that. And you can get mighty fat off of it too.

But even when we were well below the poverty line poor, we were never in danger of not having enough food. Food stamps, school lunches, etc., etc. We didn't eat steak every night by any means, but we never went hungry.
I agree with that.  Ramen noodles are dirt cheap, and more nutritious than dirt (which is its only clear advantage).

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2009, 01:06:17 PM
I agree with that.  Ramen noodles are dirt cheap, and more nutritious than dirt (which is its only clear advantage).

I dunno - I think you're probably get more nutrients from dirt than you would from ramen noodles.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2009, 01:06:17 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2009, 01:01:12 PM

Back when I ate things like Ramen noodles, I made some very, very good ones. Add in your own spices, some vegetables, and a scrambled egg, maybe even some leftover roast pork or something. You can use some basic Ramen noodles to make up a great noodle soup.

0 rows returned

Josephus

Quote from: citizen k on November 18, 2009, 12:34:04 PM

We really need a sarcasm smiley. Honeslty....I was exaggerating about the health clubs and organic food stores. Sheesh. You guys need to lighten up a bit. I know it's tough with Obama being in power.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on November 18, 2009, 12:20:51 PM
As many as possible? So there is no limit to the amount that ought to be transferred from those who actually do things to those who sit around collecting funds from  the government? That is a bold statement.

Oh wait, I forget - nobody is port because of their own actions, all poor are deserving poor, who are only poor because they never had any chance to be anything else, right?

I am not sure where this angst is coming from.  What does the causes of poverty have to do with letting people who are working have more money in their pockets so that they can have a higher standard of living?

Its a question of diminishing returns.  As I said, a few hundred more dollars in my pocket every year is nice but is hardly noticeable.  I grew up knowing people for whom that would be a big deal.