AP POLL: How to pay for health overhaul? Tax the rich

Started by garbon, November 17, 2009, 04:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 18, 2009, 06:16:48 PM
Big Macs are too damn expensive anyways.   <_<  What is it, $5+ for the meal?  That gets you 3 pieces of tasty chicken and 2 ribs at the Crown Fried Chicken.  At MickeyD's you have to go for the new non-Dollar menu Double Cheesburger for $1.19.
Absolutely.  Double cheeseburger (stand alone or combo) is the best deal at Mickey's.

Warspite

I wish I were rich enough to know whether taxes on the rich actually stung or not.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

They've released financing details of the Senate version.  There were four things mentioned, unfortunately I can only remember two.  Decrease in Medicare payments and an increase in Medicare taxes for people $250K +.

And apparently the Senate version *decreases* the deficit by somthing like 132 billion over 10 years.

Admiral Yi

Oh yeah, and it includes public option with state opt-out.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on November 18, 2009, 12:11:18 PM
I actually think cutting taxes (what little there actually are, anyways) on the poor rather than the rich is likely to have a more immediate economic benefit, since the poor are less likely to save and more likely to immediately blow any cash they have on consumer goods.  Obviously not all poor people behave that way, but I'm sure the majority do.

I agree with this, particularly the short-term part. But the flip side of that is that that kind of money is not growth money. It's keep us afloat money. It's all that "extra" money that rich people have that creates jobs and growth.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

:yes: I know, but the Dems either don't know that or don't care.  It's too bad poor people have the same number of votes in elections as the middle and upper classes.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2009, 08:10:45 AM
It's too bad poor people have the same number of votes in elections as the middle and upper classes.  :(

The Tribune of the Plebs is out of control.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Some Slovakian libertarian has the best idea: he wants that when you go to vote in an election, you are presented with the choice: the ballot, or 7 euros cash right there.

If you ask me, it's an excellent idea. The dumbest and most irresponsible segments of society would not be voting, while they would not be de facto banned from voting.

Caliga

Josephus

Quote from: Tamas on November 19, 2009, 10:04:28 AMThe dumbest and most irresponsible segments of society would not be voting, while they would not be de facto banned from voting.

I wouldn't think the Wall Street crowd can be bought off so easily.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

I remember reading once that in Australia (or New Zealand?) it is actually ILLEGAL to not vote in elections if you are a registered voter.  WORST.  IDEA.  EVER. :blink:

Faeelin

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 18, 2009, 09:10:43 PM
I agree with this, particularly the short-term part. But the flip side of that is that that kind of money is not growth money. It's keep us afloat money. It's all that "extra" money that rich people have that creates jobs and growth.

I'm not so sure that's clear. What disposable income among the poor isn't playing a role in our consumer-domintaed economy?

Faeelin

Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2009, 11:01:28 AM
I remember reading once that in Australia (or New Zealand?) it is actually ILLEGAL to not vote in elections if you are a registered voter.  WORST.  IDEA.  EVER. :blink:

I have to admit, I lost a bit of faith in democracy when I found out that the majority of Americans thought the USSR was in NATO in the 60s.

Josephus

Quote from: Faeelin on November 19, 2009, 11:02:25 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2009, 11:01:28 AM

I have to admit, I lost a bit of faith in democracy when I found out that the majority of Americans thought the USSR was in NATO in the 60s.

Never heard that. But I believe it. I was watching Amazing Race a few weeks ago and the contestants, young Americans, were shown a picture of Jackie O. and they had no idea who it was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swz3px7cRVc

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.