You really can't make this Northern Exposure trailer trash shit up

Started by Caliga, November 17, 2009, 11:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: KRonn on November 17, 2009, 04:04:17 PM
Yeah, but if she was a lefty icon like Michael Moore you'd probably not say that. I think much of this comes down to political ideologies as much as like/dislike of the person, in this case Palin. She just doesn't seem so evil, nor have such outrageous political views, does she? Of course, her being conservative brings out the hate from liberals, and that goes in the opposite way too of course. People may not agree with her views but I don't know if her views are so bad to warrant such hate, so I think it's more perception and personal with people hating on her.

My dislike of Palin stems entirely from the fact that she is one of the highest profile women in government, and she comes off as a complete moron. Why can't the media be fascinated by people like Janet Napolitano, Linda Lingle, or Christine Gregoire? All women governors, all women with talent and intelligence, and while I may not agree with their politics, strong politicians.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on November 17, 2009, 07:15:00 PM
My dislike of Palin stems entirely from the fact that she is one of the highest profile women in government, and she comes off as a complete moron. Why can't the media be fascinated by people like Janet Napolitano, Linda Lingle, or Christine Gregoire? All women governors, all women with talent and intelligence, and while I may not agree with their politics, strong politicians.
National news doesn't follow state government unless the shit hits the fan or they do something really weird.

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on November 17, 2009, 04:04:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 17, 2009, 03:28:40 PM
Quote from: KRonn on November 17, 2009, 03:25:28 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 17, 2009, 02:37:18 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 17, 2009, 02:35:03 PM
At least he is keeping it real.

I'm convinced they are both filthy liars. Levi has a reason to keep the feud going, and I'm sure some of the outrageous stuff he's saying is made up.

That's not what I call keeping it real. The guy's a tool.
He's a tool and a nitwit, but he's making money off of this as long as the left wingers can milk him to dredge up anything, fact or fiction, on Palin, as he continues to make a jack ass of himself.

The same can be said of Palin.
Yeah, but if she was a lefty icon like Michael Moore you'd probably not say that. I think much of this comes down to political ideologies as much as like/dislike of the person, in this case Palin. She just doesn't seem so evil, nor have such outrageous political views, does she? Of course, her being conservative brings out the hate from liberals, and that goes in the opposite way too of course. People may not agree with her views but I don't know if her views are so bad to warrant such hate, so I think it's more perception and personal with people hating on her.

The people who talk about this Palin hate the most are conservatives.  And in particular Palin.  The woman thrives on playing the victim.  Everyone is unfair to her (according to her), the Press, the public, Republicans, the Weather Channel, what ever.  She just recently posed for some photographs showing off her shapely figure and then claims it's sexist for them to be published.  Which is really odd for someone who's speeches are about 30% winks.

I honestly can't think of a liberal icon like Palin.  That speaks very poorly for conservatives I think.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2009, 07:22:32 PM
National news doesn't follow state government unless the shit hits the fan or they do something really weird.
The only national coverage Gregoire has had is for her corruption.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Why can't the media be fascinated by people like Janet Napolitano, Linda Lingle, or Christine Gregoire?
Ugly, ugly, and ugly.  There's your answer.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Because she ran for VP and they didn't. And I think there's also a certain degree to which people don't realize the impact she had on the country, especially the aging mommy demo and the GOPers who were seriously dissatisfied with McCain. The latter being a very large group along with the former. My own mother called me during that speech of hers at the convention and was all OMG I LUV HER!!!111 WHO IS SHE??!!. :bleeding: Luckily for the country, we quickly realized that she had shot her wad all at once in that speech and there was nothing left for her to make anything of. But, she did give the GOP the only energy they've had in a long time. Fleeting as it was.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Queequeg

Quote from: Caliga on November 17, 2009, 11:27:11 AM
I'm actually wishing McCain had won now for other reasons... but we'd have this added hilarity.  Biden has proven to be boring as Veep.  :(
:huh:
He chose Palin.  She sunk all his chances.  What does that say about his judgement?  You view the two as somehow separate, as though McCain was tainted by Palin with McCain being a victim.  It was the most important decision of his political career, and he chose a pair of breasts with the brain of a centipede. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on November 17, 2009, 09:42:37 PM
He chose Palin.  She sunk all his chances.  What does that say about his judgement?  You view the two as somehow separate, as though McCain was tainted by Palin with McCain being a victim.  It was the most important decision of his political career, and he chose a pair of breasts with the brain of a centipede.
She didn't sink all his chances... he had no realistic chance of winning to begin with.  It was a desperate gamble that didn't pay off.  I understand why he picked her.  It's easy to laugh at him now in retrospect, of course.

Also, what is this "you view the two as somehow separate" stuff?

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on November 17, 2009, 09:47:58 PM
She didn't sink all his chances... he had no realistic chance of winning to begin with.  It was a desperate gamble that didn't pay off.  I understand why he picked her.  It's easy to laugh at him now in retrospect, of course.

That is of course is BS.  McCain always had a chance.  If he hadn't fallen apart when the economy did he might have won.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on November 17, 2009, 09:56:52 PM
That is of course is BS.  McCain always had a chance.  If he hadn't fallen apart when the economy did he might have won.
I don't think that's true.  The election might have been a little closer, but I think he still would have lost.

Fate

McCain was running against a nigger with a terrorist middle and last name who was born in Indonesia. He had a good chance of winning.   :huh:

Martinus

Even if it was a sneaky tactical decision on his part that just didn't pay off, this still does show something about his judgement that he would choose a completely moronic bimbo to step in his shoes if he dies (not that unlikely) just to score some cheap publicity.

This decision tainted him as either impossibly stupid or a devious and dishonest politico - neither being the picture that people used to associate with him.

Edit: There is also a third option: he was demoralised, convinced he will lose so he just say "fuck it" and did what his devious Republican advisors told him to do. But again, this shows a flaw in his character, and one inconsistent with the image he used to project.

Let's face it - picking Palin may have been smart or not, politically, but no matter which motivation for that you assume (McCain the Doddering Old Fool; McCain the Manipulative Player; McCain the Broken), it does seriously damage the image he used to have, which is one for being determined, smart, honest and detesting political games.

Queequeg

The man has a record of piss-poor judgement on everything except the surge. 

Iraq: WHOOPIE KILL KILL KILL!
Later Bush II: HUG!
War in Ossetia: OH MY GOD BOMB MOSCOW!
Palin: :wub:
Financial Crisis: Suspension of campaign, only without any kind of suspension.

Even if you were right about Obama, better a Carter than a Francisco Solano Lopez. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."