Saw Faust live a couple of years ago.  They were very good :mmm:

Cabaret Voltaire.
Popol Vuh.
Scritti Politti.

Oh and I love Neu :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Tyr on November 03, 2009, 03:46:41 PM
So, traditionally I've always been a rock music kind of guy, some variation into the weirder ends of indie such as the Fiery Furnaces but the thought of songs without much in the way lyrics was always iffy to me.
Over the last few years though I have noticed I've started to like quite a bit of electronic stuff a lot.
Through the entry level drug of Deutsche Niew Velle its happened.
Modern stuff still souns shitty to me but the likes of Kraftwerk, Grauzone and Black Devil I'm 'down with' as the kids said way back when.

So...any suggestions of good analogue eletronic music from back in the 70s and 80s?
Or am I alone in my weird new like.

I don't know Grauzone, but Kraftwerk and Black Devil are fairly different styles of electronic music, though they're both great.

A lot of people are recommending Krautrock bands, which while great and German, aren't really that snyth-based in my experience.  Neu! is one of my absolute favorite groups and represents everything great about 1970s West Germany, but they are exclusively guitar based, I think.

On the dance side, look into early 80's "hi-NRG" records.  Virtually anything Patrick Cowley or Bobby Orlando produced is gold.  On the rock/punk side, definitely Cabaret Voltaire, Suicide, the futuristic Bowie period, Tuxedomoon,  Pere Ubu has some interesting synth elements.   Soft Cell kind of straddling the line.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)