From Puffin Boy to Yi.

Started by Viking, November 15, 2009, 12:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Unlike German politicians Icelandic kids know and understand English.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

QuoteAnd as Simon Hancock discovers, every night during the season hundreds of children gather during the evening to round up the lost puffins - then later,
What I expected to read next considering this is Iceland is 'Devour them'. Instead though we have

Quoteto release them back into the sea.

Eh?
██████
██████
██████

Viking

You just let your prejudices get the better of you. We only eat non-nesting adult puffins.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, so the baby puffins are rescued......giving a nice feelgood factor, and then scoffed as adult birds a few years later  :)

Viking

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 15, 2009, 02:01:57 PM
Yes, so the baby puffins are rescued......giving a nice feelgood factor, and then scoffed as adult birds a few years later  :)

Yes and? The puffin traditions allow 6 million puffins to live on a 13 sq km large island with five thousand people without being wiped out.

Richard Hakluyt

I'm impressed that there are so many of them. The chief puffin colony in the UK used to be on Lundy, but the population has suffered a bad decline in recent years. This article I found seems to be placing the blame for that decline on rats :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/articles/2005/06/08/lundy_rats_feature.shtml

Viking

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 15, 2009, 04:12:46 PM
I'm impressed that there are so many of them. The chief puffin colony in the UK used to be on Lundy, but the population has suffered a bad decline in recent years. This article I found seems to be placing the blame for that decline on rats :

Thats great to hear. Rats can't take the climate back at home so we don't have problems with them.

Brazen

I got my puffin exposure on May Island, one of my favourite trips as a kid :)
http://www.isleofmayferry.com/home.asp

Richard Hakluyt

So it looks like rats may be the problem for puffins, rather than humans. I'm surprised it took them so long to work that out. I've been hearing about the declining puffin population on Lundy since I was a kid, nobody even mentioned that the island was infested with rats  :huh:

Viking

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 15, 2009, 04:50:46 PM
So it looks like rats may be the problem for puffins, rather than humans. I'm surprised it took them so long to work that out. I've been hearing about the declining puffin population on Lundy since I was a kid, nobody even mentioned that the island was infested with rats  :huh:

They nest in underground burrows. We could have wiped them out pretty quickly by just picking eggs.

barkdreg

I also watched the piece about the Japanese plastiv food. Those voice-overs are horrible.....

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on November 15, 2009, 04:16:31 PM

Thats great to hear. Rats can't take the climate back at home so we don't have problems with them.

We have more... direct means of taking care of rats in Alberta... :menace:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3441
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on November 15, 2009, 03:49:26 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 15, 2009, 02:01:57 PM

Yes and? The puffin traditions allow 6 million puffins to live on a 13 sq km large island with five thousand people without being wiped out.

And the tradition is a wonderful way to teach kids to think about something other than themselves. It's a lovely tradition, Viking. Thank you for sharing this. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...