GOP chairman ends abortion insurance for employees

Started by Fate, November 13, 2009, 10:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

You stay classy, GOP.

Quote from: TPM
GOP chairman ends abortion insurance for employees

Report prompts GOP chairman to order end of elective abortion coverage for party employees

CHRISTINE SIMMONS
AP News

Nov 13, 2009 07:31 EST

A chagrined GOP Chairman Michael Steele has told Republican National Committee staff to immediately stop providing RNC employees with insurance for elective abortions — an option that Republicans strongly oppose as Democrats try to pass a health care overhaul bill.

"Money from our loyal donors should not be used for this purpose," Steele said in a statement late Thursday after learning of the abortion coverage from a news report. "I don't know why this policy existed in the past, but it will not exist under my administration. Consider this issue settled."

Steele instructed staff to inform the insurance carrier that the RNC wanted to opt out of elective abortion coverage, RNC spokeswoman Gail Gitcho said. She said the policy has been in effect since 1991.

A memo earlier from RNC Chief of Staff Ken McKay to the organization's members said Steele was taking the matter very seriously and "has been engaged by phone on this issue."

The GOP platform traditionally includes strong anti-abortion language. All House Republicans, except one, voted for an amendment imposing restrictions of coverage for abortions in the health care bill that passed the House last Saturday. Inclusion of the abortion restrictions prompted an angry backlash from liberal House Democrats, and some are now threatening to vote against a final bill if the curbs stay in.

The memo said the RNC received a phone call from a reporter on Wednesday asking whether the RNC's health care policy, through Cigna, covered elective abortions for employees. On Thursday, Politico.com published a report citing two sales agents for Cigna who said the RNC's policy covered elective abortion.

The Cigna employees said the RNC didn't choose to opt out of abortion coverage when given the opportunity, Politico.com reported.

"Upon learning of this story, at the chairman's direction, we immediately contacted the Executive Committee," the RNC memo said. "We will be scheduling a call with the Executive Committee in the immediate future to discuss this matter more fully."

The memo said the RNC health insurance policy has been in review for some time.

"Chairman Steele had already called for an official review of our health insurance policy along with a number of other operational items," the memo said.

grumbler

This has always been the policy of the Roman Catholic Church and, I suspect, most protestant and Mormon church groups as well.  No reason to blame the Republican National Church from following the lead of the other major religious groups.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Fate

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Lndhand

I'm all for people have abortion insurance.  Beats paying to raise their kids. 
The biggest thing I blame Bush for is Obama.

PDH

Quote from: Lndhand on November 14, 2009, 08:56:43 AM
I'm all for people have abortion insurance.  Beats paying to raise their kids.
You hate life  :(
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2009, 10:22:23 PM
This has always been the policy of the Roman Catholic Church and, I suspect, most protestant and Mormon church groups as well.  No reason to blame the Republican National Church from following the lead of the other major religious groups.
:lol:

ZING.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on November 14, 2009, 10:25:35 AM
Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2009, 10:22:23 PM

ZING.

True though.  Why shouldn't the GOP hierarchy follow their own political platform?  It's rare, I admit for pols to follow through, but it does happen.
PDH!

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 16, 2009, 02:12:05 PM
Odd that they had it to begin with...

I wonder how many RNC employees took the elective abortion coverage. :contract:
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Also, another thing- if the insurance is legal at this point and elective for the employees, is our ol' buddy's announcement even legal?
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 16, 2009, 03:30:15 PM
Also, another thing- if the insurance is legal at this point and elective for the employees, is our ol' buddy's announcement even legal?
English, motherfucker.  :hug:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on November 16, 2009, 03:31:31 PM
English, motherfucker.  :hug:

I'm not up on the administrative side of insuring employees.  If the coverage is at the employees' discretion, can the employer tell the insurer not to provide it to them?
Experience bij!

alfred russel

:( No abortion coverage in the one group we need to be encouraging them. Maybe the DNC will provide coverage to the RNC employees free of charge.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on November 16, 2009, 03:36:24 PM
:( No abortion coverage in the one group we need to be encouraging them. Maybe the DNC will provide coverage to the RNC employees free of charge.

Bayraktar!