:lol:

Habbaku

Quote from: citizen k on November 14, 2009, 07:00:13 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 14, 2009, 06:51:49 PM

I am not blinded by ideology.

Although I can't stand Thatcherism and think it is highly evil,

I had the same reaction.  Hilarious.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on November 14, 2009, 06:26:05 PM
You got it wrong. Admiral Yi said "I am familiar with the case for her"

I, seriously, want to know what that is; before I can make my counter argument. In other words, I am not familiar with the case for her. Please explain. I am an idiot. Thanks.
I said I'm familiar with the case for her after you had said people should be out in the streets cheering her death.  That's not the position of someone waiting to make a counter argument.

FWIW I don't know how she busted the unions.  I assume she busted them by simply not giving in to their demands and going ahead with plans to privatize and close money losing mines.

Josephus

Quote from: Habbaku on November 14, 2009, 07:01:02 PM

You guys take the cake.

Let me dumb it down. Although I hate Thatcherism and consider it bad, I am not as blinded by my ideology as you guys are, so as to not concede the following points (the rest of my comment from which you cropped from)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2009, 07:10:48 PM
I said I'm familiar with the case for her after you had said people should be out in the streets cheering her death.  That's not the position of someone waiting to make a counter argument.

FWIW I don't know how she busted the unions.  I assume she busted them by simply not giving in to their demands and going ahead with plans to privatize and close money losing mines.
I thought Tyr said people should be out in the streets, Josephus simply agreed. I understand going after josq is like debating Tim, but really, his should be the focus of this - initial post, street dancing, etc.

For what it is worth, I believe that as a symbol she will be remembered as incredibly important.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

For the record: I didn't say people should be out on the streets. I said that if street parties were the done thing in this day and age then there would definatly be one for her death.
I nick the words of I've no clue who:
When Thatcher dies there has to be a state funeral. Half the country will want to honour her, the other half will want to make sure the bitch is really dead.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

I'm sure if they are out on the streets, they will be in their natural state.

Drunk, with underwear down to their ankles.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 14, 2009, 08:52:14 PM
I'm sure if they are out on the streets, they will be in their natural state.

Drunk, with underwear down to their ankles.
Getting beaten up by female impersonators.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on November 14, 2009, 08:51:55 PM
For the record: I didn't say people should be out on the streets. I said that if street parties were the done thing in this day and age then there would definatly be one for her death.
I nick the words of I've no clue who:
When Thatcher dies there has to be a state funeral. Half the country will want to honour her, the other half will want to make sure the bitch is really dead.
Fair enough.  And the smileys at the beginning of the OP, were you really that happy that a cat died?

citizen k

Quote from: Josephus on November 14, 2009, 07:59:41 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 14, 2009, 07:01:02 PM

You guys take the cake.

Let me dumb it down. Although I hate Thatcherism and consider it bad, I am not as blinded by my ideology as you guys are, so as to not concede the following points (the rest of my comment from which you cropped from)

It's time to transcend ideology, it has such a 20th century vibe.

garbon

So J's dislike is just based on blind ideological leanings?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2009, 10:25:44 PM
He admits as much. :unsure:

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2009, 10:25:44 PM
Add together:
(1) "I don't know that much about her" and
(2)  "I can't stand Thatcherism and think it is highly evil"
and that equals: "he really doesn't know the case against her, he just knows 'Thatcher bad, m'kay?'"

He both denies it and proves it in subsequent posts, and claims that everyone who notices the truth "take(s) the cake."  Of his "let me dumb it down" concept, I would say that he needs to go much dumber before he can understand himself.  :P  The rest of us have no problem understanding what he is really saying even at the dumbness level at which he started.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2009, 09:03:17 PM

Fair enough.  And the smileys at the beginning of the OP, were you really that happy that a cat died?
Oh, I'm certainly well on the side who hates her.
Calling for a party when soeone dies though...well even if it is such an evil bitch its still....wrong.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

The case for Thatcher: Conservative.
The case against Thatcher: Conservative.

That about sums it up.