And we're back!

Main Menu

Fernando Bermudez Declared Innocent

Started by Capetan Mihali, November 13, 2009, 02:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

QuoteMan Jailed for '91 Murder Is Cleared by Judge
By JOHN ELIGON

A Manhattan judge ruled on Thursday that a man who had spent 18 years in prison for murder was innocent of the crime, sending a cathartic jolt through a courtroom packed with his friends and family members.

The prisoner, Fernando Bermudez, was not immediately released, however, as his lawyers must still sort out with federal authorities the status of a sentence on a drug distribution charge that he pleaded guilty to after he was arrested in the murder case. The time he served in state prison does not count toward his federal sentence of 27 months, but Barry J. Pollack, one of Mr. Bermudez's lawyers, said he would appeal for his client's release.

Mr. Bermudez, 40, broke down as Justice John Cataldo of State Supreme Court overturned his conviction. He whispered "thank you" to his lawyers, the judge and his supporters, who sobbed and applauded. He turned toward the gallery and whispered, "I love you," then hugged his lawyers before being taken away in handcuffs.

"I hope for you a much better future," Justice Cataldo told Mr. Bermudez.

Prosecutors continue to maintain that Mr. Bermudez is in fact guilty of the murder, in which Raymond Blount, 16, was gunned down on the street after a fight inside a Greenwich Village club in 1991. Mark Dwyer, the chief assistant Manhattan district attorney, said his office was deciding whether to appeal.

In his ruling, Justice Cataldo did more than overturn the conviction, dismissing the charges altogether. Short of a reversal by an appellate court, prosecutors cannot retry Mr. Bermudez for the crime, Mr. Pollack said.

A year after Mr. Bermudez's 1992 conviction, five witnesses who had identified him as the killer at trial recanted, saying in sworn affidavits that, they were coerced or manipulated by the police and prosecutors to identify Mr. Bermudez as the killer. Several of those witnesses reiterated their recantations in September at a hearing before Justice Cataldo.

This was the 11th attempt to overturn his conviction by Mr. Bermudez, whose case had received a lengthy examination by The New York Times in 2007.

Lawyers and advocates for the wrongfully convicted said the significance of Thursday's ruling was twofold. They said it was one of the rare instances in New York in which a judge had ruled that a defendant was innocent without the presence of exonerating DNA evidence. They also said that by ruling that Mr. Bermudez was innocent, Justice Cataldo had bolstered the prisoner's chance of collecting compensation from the state.

"This case, like the overwhelming number of wrongful convictions, does not have the advantage of DNA," said Scott Christianson, the author of "Innocent: Inside Wrongful Conviction Cases." "So for this judge to assess all the evidence in the case and come to this decision is quite unusual."

In his 79-page decision, Justice Cataldo wrote that Mr. Bermudez's rights were violated because the police had allowed prosecution witnesses to view Mr. Bermudez's mug shot as a group and to discuss his resemblance to the killer. Justice Cataldo also found that the prosecution should have known before sentencing that one of its cooperating witnesses, Efraim Lopez — a teenager whom Mr. Blount had punched at the club — had given false testimony.

"I find no credible evidence connects Fernando Bermudez to the homicide of Mr. Blount," Justice Cataldo wrote. "All of the people's trial evidence has been discredited: the false testimony of Efraim Lopez and the recanted identifications of strangers. I find, by clear and convincing evidence, that Fernando Bermudez has demonstrated he is innocent of this crime."

But prosecutors have contended that witnesses may have been pressured into changing their testimony.

"We don't think the defense has shown anything wrong with the verdict," Mr. Dwyer said.

Outside the courthouse, Mr. Bermudez's supporters beamed and waved shirts that read "Fernando Bermudez Is Innocent" for television cameras.

When Justice Cataldo declared Mr. Bermudez to be innocent, emotion flooded the tense courtroom.

"I couldn't even breathe," Christine Bermudez, Mr. Bermudez's sister, said. "My heart just stopped."

But Mr. Bermudez's father, Frank, who lives in Washington Heights, was so nervous he could not stick around to watch. He left before the start of the proceeding and returned to find his daughter weeping in the courthouse lobby. She told him that his son had been exonerated. "I was crying, too," Frank Bermudez said. 

Nice to know he wasn't put to death in the interim.   :)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

citizen k

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 13, 2009, 02:19:08 AMNice to know he wasn't put to death in the interim.   :)
That includes prison attacks.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: citizen k on November 13, 2009, 02:35:42 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 13, 2009, 02:19:08 AMNice to know he wasn't put to death in the interim.   :)

The state of the penal system in this country is an unmitigated disgrace.  You can quote me on that.  :alberta:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: citizen k on November 13, 2009, 02:35:42 AM

Probably had some prison rape though

Martinus

QuoteThe time he served in state prison does not count toward his federal sentence of 27 months

Wow, that's seriously fucked up.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2009, 03:25:15 AM
QuoteThe time he served in state prison does not count toward his federal sentence of 27 months

That's if the federal conviction stands.  It sounds like a high likelihood the case will be appealed, remanded and dismissed.  Also, even if it stands, while the state prison time can't be converted, the judge could have the option of commuting the federal sentence.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 13, 2009, 02:19:08 AM
Would it have mattered?  He pled guilty to a drug charge.  The man is scum.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 13, 2009, 09:36:02 AM

That's if the federal conviction stands.  It sounds like a high likelihood the case will be appealed, remanded and dismissed.  Also, even if it stands, while the state prison time can't be converted, the judge could have the option of commuting the federal sentence.

Doesn't matter - having two independent criminal systems apply to you while you live in the same country is pretty fucked up, no matter what. In Europe we have got rid of that kind of stuff some time in middle ages.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2009, 10:07:25 AM
Doesn't matter - having two independent criminal systems apply to you while you live in the same country is pretty fucked up, no matter what. In Europe we have got rid of that kind of stuff some time in middle ages.

No one bothered to tell Judge Garzon about that.

And last I checked, Karadzic was standing trial in Europe on a criminal charge, and yet not in a Serbian court.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 13, 2009, 02:19:08 AM
If he were put to death, he wouldn't be innocent now.

DontSayBanana

It's not two independent criminal systems; the federal courts have supremacy- note that USSC judges can tell state supreme court judges what to do, but not vice versa- it's simply that the state courts are given limited autonomy to prosecute internal offenses.  And you just put something like that back in place in Europe- aren't you guys subject to EU laws as well as those of your own countries now?
Experience bij!

KRonn

A year after Mr. Bermudez's 1992 conviction, five witnesses who had identified him as the killer at trial recanted, saying in sworn affidavits that, they were coerced or manipulated by the police and prosecutors to identify Mr. Bermudez as the killer. Several of those witnesses reiterated their recantations in September at a hearing before Justice Cataldo.

Hmm... seems some investigation is needed into what did occur.

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 13, 2009, 09:36:02 AM

He pled guilty.  It has a very low likelihood it will be appealed, remanded and dismissed.

No idea on commuting the sentence or other such steps.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

When did you get rid of putting people in gas chambers because of their religion?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 13, 2009, 10:26:26 AMAnd last I checked, Karadzic was standing trial in Europe on a criminal charge, and yet not in a Serbian court.
You should check again. He stands trial in the world as the court acts on mandate of the United Nations. It's coincidence that the ICTY is in Europe.