South's declining relevence on the federal level

Started by Lettow77, November 11, 2009, 11:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to see the actual poll question, and find out who the "Odum institute" is, before accepting those numbers.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on November 12, 2009, 04:29:44 PM
If I stay in this. country, brain, I promise. But there's always emmigration to derail me from serving my nation, unfortunately. And the depressing obligations that come of being a familied man, later in life.

Still, I think I can awaken national consciousness in my state. We may eventually hope for a role akin to the PQ.
If you, the South's most militant patriot, is willing to emmigrate, then what does that say about the potential for Southern consciousness?

What wedge do you think you can use to promote a national idea in the South, without referencing Southern history?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2009, 06:11:48 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to see the actual poll question, and find out who the "Odum institute" is, before accepting those numbers.

Okay, the Odum institute appears on first blush to be legit.

However the actual question used is going to be hugely important.  Remember you're talking to a politically aware Canadian - the topic of how to word poll (or referendum) can vary the response you're getting quite a bit.

I can imagine 12% of southerners saying something positive about southern independence, but that is quite a bit different from saying "the south should succeed from the union".

Faeelin

Quote from: Barrister on November 12, 2009, 06:21:55 PM
I can imagine 12% of southerners saying something positive about southern independence, but that is quite a bit different from saying "the south should succeed from the union".

Frankly I'd be happy if they'd succeed in the Union.

Fate

Quote from: Faeelin on November 12, 2009, 06:50:21 PM

Thems fightin' words, yanquee.

Barrister

Quote from: Faeelin on November 12, 2009, 06:50:21 PM

:face:

Lettow77

I know, neil, and it bothers me, but sometimes I cant take it and wish I was elsewhere.

As for the wedge? ideological and ethnic differences with the rest of the country, something to foster a feeling of resentment, (like the current exclusion of Southerners from representation, if it endures..) religion? the disparity between northern and southern income could be used if an economic depression hits hard enough.

And hey, BB? Your sort of lame, I mean. You continually insist race drives my nationalism, and are awful dismissive with things inconvenient to you. There are more appealing canadians.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

Okay, the Odum institute appears on first blush to be legit.

However the actual question used is going to be hugely important.  Remember you're talking to a politically aware Canadian - the topic of how to word poll (or referendum) can vary the response you're getting quite a bit.

From what I can tell from the data archives provided by Odum, the question was this:

Finally, do you agree or disagree that: The South is better off as part of
the United States than it would be as a separate country.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

If you look at the cross tabs, it looks like the people who tend to disagree that the South is better off as part of the US are more often to be found in one of the following groups:
18-24 years old
Other races (non-white, non-black)
Democrat/Independent
Non church goers
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2009, 12:40:43 AM
If you look at the cross tabs, it looks like the people who tend to disagree that the South is better off as part of the US are more often to be found in one of the following groups:
18-24 years old
Democrat/Independent
Non church goers

Looks like Lettow really is Jaron.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2009, 12:40:43 AM
18-24 years old
Democrat/Independent
Non church goers

Hmm. Was this a regional or national survey?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

KRonn

Quote from: Lettow77 on November 12, 2009, 08:31:18 PM
I know, neil, and it bothers me, but sometimes I cant take it and wish I was elsewhere.

As for the wedge? ideological and ethnic differences with the rest of the country, something to foster a feeling of resentment, (like the current exclusion of Southerners from representation, if it endures..) religion? the disparity between northern and southern income could be used if an economic depression hits hard enough.

And hey, BB? Your sort of lame, I mean. You continually insist race drives my nationalism, and are awful dismissive with things inconvenient to you. There are more appealing canadians.
Lettow, what is it that you do want? I understand you want Southern independence, but then what kind of Southern nation do you envision? I'm assuming a govt that has much less central control? Along with other issues you speak of here, like getting back to religion, more equality for Southerners, though I don't see how Southerners aren't equal.

I fear that the US is about the last place of lower govt controlled and run nations, though we're not far behind with govt, and catching up rapidly anyway. So sadly, I don't know where anyone could go anymore to be in a nation of low govt control and activity.