Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Those are not cities I'd like to be in during a blackout. :pinch:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33844757/ns/world_news-americas/

QuoteBlackouts darken Brazil's 2 largest cities
Officials cite problems at the huge Itaipu hydroelectric dam

msnbc.com news services
updated 10:04 p.m. ET Nov. 10, 2009
RIO DE JANEIRO - A massive power failure blacked out Brazil's two largest cities and other parts of Latin America's biggest nation Tuesday night, leaving millions of people in the dark after a huge hydroelectric dam suddenly went offline.

Paraguay was also affected when the Itaipu dam straddling the two nations' border stopped producing 17,000 megawatts of power, resulting in outages in Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo and at least several other big Brazilian cities, Brazilian Mines and Energy Minister Edison Lobao said.

The cause of the failure had not been determined, but Lobao said strong storms uprooted trees near the Itaipu dam just before it went offline and could be to blame. Rio was the hardest hit city, he said.

Lobao said the hydro plant at the dam itself was working, but there were problems with the power lines that carry electricity across Brazil. Brazil uses almost all of the energy produced by the dam, and Paraguay consumes the rest.

Brazil's official Agencia Brasil news agency said Tuesday's outage started about 10:20 p.m. (1220 GMT), snarling streets in Rio after traffic lights stopped working. Subway service was knocked out in both Rio and Sao Paulo, and G1 said Sao Paulo subway users were forced to abandon train cars.

In the city of Taguatinga near the national capital of Brasilia, a second division Brazilian league soccer game was halted after lights illuminating the field went dark. No power outages happened in Brasilia.

Click for related content
Read more news from around the world

Utility companies that provide electricity for Rio and Sao Paulo did not immediately offer explanations for why the power went off or when it would be restored, Agencia Brasil said.

Sao Paulo is South America's largest city, with 12 million residents. Rio has 6 million citizens. But the metropolitan area of both cities are much larger. Also affected was Belo Horizonte in central Brazil and the northeastern city of Recife.

The Itaipu dam is the world's second biggest hydroelectric producer, supplying 20 percent of Brazil's electricity. China's Three Gorges dam is the largest.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PRC

60 Minutes on Sunday had a segment on cyber warfare and mentioned that Brazil had had power failures recently that were the result of foreign powers/hackers exploiting weaknesses in their networks.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PRC on November 10, 2009, 11:00:33 PM
60 Minutes on Sunday had a segment on cyber warfare and mentioned that Brazil had had power failures recently that were the result of foreign powers/hackers exploiting weaknesses in their networks.

Yup.  Very good piece, too.

We're so fucked.

PRC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2009, 11:08:21 PM
Yup.  Very good piece, too.

We're so fucked.

And it doesn't have to be an enemy state conducting the attacks.  A simple scenario could be that the cities that had the failures take place could have housed food production facilities for Brazil's massive cattle industry crippling that industry for a time.  An Albertan cattle producing corp. could have executed the attacks in an attempt to get a third party buyer to "Buy Albertan" beef products as opposed to Brazilian.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on November 10, 2009, 11:40:33 PM
How about those Olympics.

Well, when the power goes out, everybody's going to get to run the 1,000 meter.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

barkdreg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 10, 2009, 10:50:40 PM
Brazilian Mines and Energy Minister Edison Lobao said.

Best name for a Minister for Energy ever!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: barkdreg on November 11, 2009, 01:33:08 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 10, 2009, 10:50:40 PM
Brazilian Mines and Energy Minister Edison Lobao said.

Best name for a Minister for Energy ever!
Edison Tesla would be better.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

For some reason Edison is a very popular name down there. :huh:

I guess they enjoy naming their kids after badass Americans.  There were a couple of Brazilians around Marlborough named Jefferson.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on November 11, 2009, 08:10:18 AM
For some reason Edison is a very popular name down there. :huh:

I guess they enjoy naming their kids after badass Americans.  There were a couple of Brazilians around Marlborough named Jefferson.
Edison is apparently really famous outside the US. I did an exercise where kids named someone who had changed the world for the better and told why and the only American listed was Edison, and he was named in several different classes. :huh:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point