Economist says Alaska is money pit, should have been sold to UK/Canada instead.

Started by katmai, November 10, 2009, 07:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

DC also has a shitload of government buildings, and also requires a ton of government spending on security and stuff like that.

It's also a craphole of a city.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Admiral Yi

Quote from: ulmont on November 10, 2009, 08:24:21 PM
Effective representation...that has to be bribed to do anything useful.
The biggest potential *discretionary* impact I could see is in the location of military bases (don't know if that's picked up in your table or not).  But I think the current sites predate the de-Dixification of the south.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 10, 2009, 07:54:41 PM
Anything that kept more of those fucking snaggle toothed brits out of more of North America was a good thing. Limey cocksuckers.
Interesting fact:  Canadians have better teeth than Americans, and are much less fat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on November 10, 2009, 08:13:26 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 10, 2009, 08:06:38 PM
Besides, we bought Alaska; we just took California.

I thought we payed them a little bit for all the territory we got.

You're correct. I think it was fifteen million or somesuch. Look up the Treaty of Guadaloupe Hidalgo if you're curious.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 10, 2009, 09:33:35 PM

You're correct. I think it was fifteen million or somesuch. Look up the Treaty of Guadaloupe Hidalgo if you're curious.

QuoteUnder the terms of the treaty, Mexico ceded to the United States approximately 525,000 square miles (55% of its prewar territory) in exchange for a $15 million lump sum payment, and the assumption by the U.S. Government of up to $3.25 million worth of debts owed by Mexico to U.S. citizens.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 10, 2009, 09:13:47 PM
DC also has a shitload of government buildings, and also requires a ton of government spending on security and stuff like that.

It's also a craphole of a city.

Well the government there is directly administer by congress, the city is very small and has tons of different police organizations.  I'm surprised there is any taxes that come from there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DisturbedPervert

garbon

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 10, 2009, 10:17:25 PM
Quote from: sbr on November 10, 2009, 07:56:26 PM
Did he do one for every state?  I would love to see how much California costs us.

:mellow:

Yeah I'm not really sure what sbr was smoking. Perhaps standard irrationality about California.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on November 10, 2009, 09:21:27 PM
Interesting fact:  Canadians have better teeth than Americans, and are much less fat.

Sad fact: They unfortunately have to live in Canada.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

Anything that kept more of those fucking snaggle toothed brits out of more of North America was a good thing. Limey cocksuckers.

I used to go to Quebec a lot. I disagree with the first part and agree with the second. And at least our woman don't have hairy armpits and legs.  :P
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Strix on November 11, 2009, 09:08:42 PM

I used to go to Quebec a lot. I disagree with the first part and agree with the second. And at least our woman don't have hairy armpits and legs.  :P

wrong
That's PQ only - Like French Unilingualism
The rest of Canada only smokes one pack a day and the gals shave, except in my neighborhood :contract:
:p

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

I think some people are taking this bit of whimsical analysis more seriously than the author intended.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

saskganesh

if its any consolation to  perturbed yanquis there used to be plenty of people in Canada who thought our North was a waste of time and money as well. now that its being marketed as a source of wealth and power, people are much more interested.

humans were created in their own image