News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ambien / Stillnox (zolpidem) ?

Started by Capetan Mihali, November 10, 2009, 06:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Has anyone here been prescribed Ambien (zolpidem) for insomnia?  I've resisted trying it, because of the horror stories of people under the influence (e.g. driving off cliffs, eating full bags of Cheetos, etc.).  But melatonin and valerian extract have proved worse than useless for me.

The other one I'm interested in hearing about is Trazodone.  Anybody taken that for sleeping, or as an antidepressant?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Weatherman

I had a prescription for Ambien a few months ago. My dreams were weird.

Gbeagle

Ambien binds to GABA receptor sites like benzos (Xanax, Valium). From the experiences of family members that used benzos, unless you continue to ramp up the amount you take, it stops having any sedative or anti-anxiety effects. The tolerance for them at least developed very quickly. For long term treatment they were pretty crap in their opinions, though in this case it was for anxiety primarily. Worked ok for short term though.

These same family members also have a lot of experience with anti-depressants, though not Trazodone. For my sister the ones that caused some sedation (lexapro, nortriptyline) the sedative effects wore off after about a month. Trazodone is supposed to be more sedative than those though.

My sister who is one of the characters in this post has chronic insomnia too. It sucks. She hasn't really found anything that works for that yet. I wish you luck.

Razgovory

I have Trazodone.  It works as a mild anti-depressant and makes you go to sleep.  Works fairly well (at least the sleep part does), but I don't like it cause for some reason it causes chest pains.  I rarely take it.  Besides the chest pains I occasionally have it has no other side affects.  I would start by first taking it over a weekend to see how you react to it.  It can take a while to wear off, so you don't want to take it and drive to work with it still in your system.  That might be dangerous.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Gbeagle on November 10, 2009, 08:20:19 PM
Ambien binds to GABA receptor sites like benzos (Xanax, Valium). From the experiences of family members that used benzos, unless you continue to ramp up the amount you take, it stops having any sedative or anti-anxiety effects. The tolerance for them at least developed very quickly. For long term treatment they were pretty crap in their opinions, though in this case it was for anxiety primarily. Worked ok for short term though.

These same family members also have a lot of experience with anti-depressants, though not Trazodone. For my sister the ones that caused some sedation (lexapro, nortriptyline) the sedative effects wore off after about a month. Trazodone is supposed to be more sedative than those though.

My sister who is one of the characters in this post has chronic insomnia too. It sucks. She hasn't really found anything that works for that yet. I wish you luck.

Huh.  I didn't know Ambien worked like a Benzo.  It's true you can build a resistance to them fairly quick but if you don't take them for a while the resistance will wear off.  I take them for anxiety.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 10, 2009, 06:23:45 PM
(e.g. driving off cliffs, eating full bags of Cheetos, etc.).

There are more embarrassing ways to die than at the bottom of a ravine covered in cheese dust, you know.

garbon

I use ambien any time I travel abroad. Helps me get my time clock oriented.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

syk

I used Stilnox once. Went to bed immediately, slept like a dead man for 8 hours and woke up exhausted. Never tried it again. Rather chop wood or something.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: syk on November 11, 2009, 05:40:32 AM
I used Stilnox once. Went to bed immediately, slept like a dead man for 8 hours and woke up exhausted. Never tried it again. Rather chop wood or something.

Yeah, I noticed that with some of those sleep aids.  You sleep but you aren't rested.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Lucidor

Due to more people acting funny from zolpidem, our Z-drug of choice tends to be zopiclone, among the doctors I know. Not that I've tried it myself.

Korea

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 11, 2009, 01:36:04 PM
Why can't you sleep?

My brain is too busy. I've never tried the scripts but I have to a pop a melatonin tablet or two at night.
I want my mother fucking points!

Razgovory

Quote from: Korea on November 11, 2009, 11:19:38 PM
Why can't you sleep?

My brain is too busy. I've never tried the scripts but I have to a pop a melatonin tablet or two at night.

You know those things don't work right?

Fate

Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2009, 12:25:16 AM
Quote from: Korea on November 11, 2009, 11:19:38 PM
Why can't you sleep?

You know those things don't work right?

Shh, placebo works quite well.