Bad overheating problem

Started by chipwich, November 09, 2009, 10:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipwich

My computer had been shutting off after a short while, and the top part of the back of the tower is very warm to the touch afterwords. I guess that can't be good for the tower or anything in it.

Any advice or commentary?

DontSayBanana

Specifically the top back part?  Is the vent fan up there working?  It sounds like the cooling fan in the power supply is shot.
Experience bij!

chipwich

I suppose it's possibly the power supply, I didn't even know there was supposed to be a fan.

Alatriste

You should, like, open the box and take a look inside  :P

Odds are the cooling fan has stopped working.

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 09, 2009, 11:15:31 PM
It sounds like the cooling fan in the power supply is shot.
:yes:

You need to try to figure this out... if you keep trying to use your PC without fixing this you're going to cause permanent damage to, at the very least, the PSU.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: chipwich on November 10, 2009, 01:15:26 AM
I suppose it's possibly the power supply, I didn't even know there was supposed to be a fan.
Yeah; it's, like, the big vent grille in the back of the tower. :P
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Quote from: chipwich on November 10, 2009, 01:15:26 AM

Electronics produce heat, heat that is usually disperse thru heatsinks & fans.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

chipwich

The big fan is working. I don't know if theres another one in the power supply.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: chipwich on November 10, 2009, 10:12:35 AM
The big fan is working. I don't know if theres another one in the power supply.

The big fan is in the power supply.  However, some PSUs (like the one in my desktop) need multiple fans to keep from overheating or slagging the components they're on top of.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Chip, have you checked to see that the intakes to the case, components, and PSU are clean?  If they get clogged, you will have overheating even with working fans.

GPU intakes are especially prone to clogging.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

chipwich

what's the gpu intake and a psu?

chipwich

and what's the safest way to dust the inside of a computer

Barrister

Quote from: chipwich on November 10, 2009, 04:27:03 PM
and what's the safest way to dust the inside of a computer

Compressed air.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: chipwich on November 10, 2009, 04:26:38 PM
what's the gpu intake and a psu?

Some video cards have their own fans inside.  The PSU is the power supply unit.  That big vent fan on the back where you plug in the power cable is actually part of the PSU- it's all a big box slotted into the top-back of a tower.

And definitely use compressed air.  Don't touch anything inside the case unless you absolutely have to; even if you don't fry your stuff with static discharge, human hands have amazing corrosive qualities to exposed circuit boards.
Experience bij!