News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TwoP

Started by Grallon, March 28, 2009, 09:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

I hereby declare Television Without Pity (TwoP) ( http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php ) to be one of the best site on the Net.  I especially like Jacob Clifton, who does the BSG, Farscape and other shows recaps.  He's sharp and witty and totally merciless.

Witness his recap of BSG's finale:

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/battlestar_galactica/daybreak_part_ii_a.php

Or his review/analysis of Firefly's "Serenity" movie:

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/firefly/serenity_the_big_damn_movie.php

We should invite him here !

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

DisturbedPervert

A 38 page critique of the BSG finale?  That guy has problems.

Grallon

:rolleyes:

The guy is a writer - and a very smart one too.  A refreshing change from the trite & shallow one liners we find too often here.

Really there is no pleasing you people ! *disgusted*

G.

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Syt

I don't mind reading a 38 page article on paper, but on the screen it's a chore.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DisturbedPervert

Especially when they only put a little bit of the article on each page, forcing you to click next over and over so as to maximize site hits and ad revenue.

Neil

It's like reading a novelization.  Very thorough, but not that interesting if you've already seen the content.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 29, 2009, 08:39:44 AM
Especially when they only put a little bit of the article on each page, forcing you to click next over and over so as to maximize site hits and ad revenue.
And especially when the writing is not that well-done (if his Serenity review is anything to go by).  This guy needs to learn that simple repetition isn't the way to emphasize points (and he does make some interesting points, amidst the over-use of quotations and endless repition of his central metaphor).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

BuddhaRhubarb

I like the site in general g. thanks for the link. I got some twitters to follow from it.
:p

Josquius

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on March 29, 2009, 08:39:44 AM
:yes:
38 pages of length- I'd give it a go. Probally got bored at some point and skip to the end.
38 pages- :bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on March 30, 2009, 08:35:49 AM
38 pages of length- I'd give it a go. Probally got bored at some point and skip to the end.
38 pages- :bleeding:
Most of the analysis (which is what you want to read0 will be at the beginning and the end.  The middle seems to be, like the Serenity article, filled with a detailed explanation of what is going on moment by moment, kinda like a sports game blog.  That central part (can probably be skipped if you have seen the show and are in a hurry.  Do the first four and the last four pages, and you have the meat of the analysis.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!